Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up, never rode in the tahoe area. I will be there early october for a week. Any suggestions. Bike park there says is open on weekends in october. What should i do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Northstark, tahoe

I would consider myself begginner park, ride a nomad, like fast technical singletrack, technical meaning, a few ladder bridges, 2, 3 foot drops, rollers, few small kickers.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
dreynolds said:
I would consider myself begginner park, ride a nomad, like fast technical singletrack, technical meaning, a few ladder bridges, 2, 3 foot drops, rollers, few small kickers.
So you're gonna love Gypsy them for sure. And A-Line, er I mean, LiveWire has great flow this year and some good doubles/tables.

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Went to N* this past Saturday. The Skill Development Areas are not open and the staff said they are not sure if they will open them this season.

We started on Livewire and Gypsy. I wasn't impressed with the trail design or the trails. Super loose and dusty. Riding the trails reminded me of moto riding. Since I'm into technical rocky stuff and not getting big air I didn't like either trail. I didn't like the trail design either. At Deer Valley I never once questioned what was on the other side of a ramp. Deer Valley gave you options and all the landing zones were really well built. At Northstar the qualifier gives you no indication what's on the other side of the lip and then dumps into onto a rocky section with a large crack. One of our riders got his tire stuck in the crack and took a fall.

After chatting up the staff we did our third run down Little Trees, Flameout and then Woods. There are a few bridges on these trails. Technical rocky sections with some cool smaller drops (2-3feet). These were more along the lines of what I wanted to ride however the trail conditions stink. VERY loose and SUPER dusty. We had to leave plenty of room between riders so that everyone could see. We all came back looking like Pig Pen.

I wasn't impressed enough to go back. Riding the TRT was more fun to me.

A pic of me rocking the pink getting ready for my first run down.

Attachments

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I'll second msrutzie's feelings - if you are on a big hit bike, want to repeat some of the "big jump" trails to learn the good landing spots, etc... then you will probably enjoy N*. I really feel that they need to be watering the course at night to keep down the dust and pack it a bit better. Some of the trails on the right side as you face downhill (Flameout, Little Trees...) were fun, technically but didn't really have any flow. Lots of braking bumps and dust from those who slide their way down a trail. Woods trail was a blast - possibly the most fun in the park for me. Jumps were clean enough on the back side to trust them, and there is a section of fire road with some NICE water bar - type jumps that you could launch off of, seeing where you would land. A couple of spots where some larger rocks in the road kept my line and air conservative, but a few you could hit with real abandon. I also doubt that I'll go back though. For $40 you could do a lot of driving from Truckee and get to some much better riding. Kinda wish we'd done Toad's that day, but live and learn. Tahoe Meadows to Marlett/Flume via the Tahoe Rim Trail the day before was spectacular riding and scenery/vistas. If you aren't adverse to working and breathing hard, there are a lot of places that are 10 times better than Northstar, IMO.

·
Registered
266 Posts
dreynolds said:
What up, never rode in the tahoe area. I will be there early october for a week. Any suggestions. Bike park there says is open on weekends in october. What should i do?
Northstar would LOVE to be closed in October!

Because that would mean the mountain is covered in snow and they have started their real money making business.

The answer to your question for all of Tahoe in October can only be answered by mother nature. Sometimes she likes awesome fall rides...sometimes she likes a blizzard. Ya just never can tell.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
msrutzie said:
Went to N* this past Saturday. The Skill Development Areas are not open and the staff said they are not sure if they will open them this season.

We started on Livewire and Gypsy. I wasn't impressed with the trail design or the trails. Super loose and dusty. Riding the trails reminded by of moto riding. Since I'm into technical rocky stuff and not getting big air I didn't like either trail. I didn't like the trail design either. At Deer Valley I never once questioned what was on the other side of a ramp. Deer Valley gave you options and all the landing zones were really well built. At Northstar the qualifier getting gives you no indication what's on the other side of the lip and then dumps into onto a rocky section with a large crack. One of our riders got his tire stuck in the crack and took a fall.

After chatting up the staff we did our third run down Little Trees, Flameout and then Woods. There are a few bridges on these trails. Technical rocky sections with some cool smaller drops (2-3feet). These were more along the lines of what I wanted to ride however the trail conditions stink. VERY loose and SUPER dusty. We had to leave plenty of room between riders so that everyone could see. We all came back looking like Pig Pen.

Good honest review. Thanks. It sounds like I should do the local trails and save up for Whistler.

fc

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Brah has been riding Whistler for the last week. Perhaps he'll give us a report. I've heard that Whistler built more stuff for beginner and intermediate riders. Progressive trails would be nice. I wouldn't of wanted my first bridge ride to be one that was 12 feet in the air.

I'd easily go back to Deer Valley. I'm saving for the Dirt Series clinic in either Whistler or Hood River. Every time I ride I realize just how much I learned from the 2 day clinic. I wish I would of taken the clinic when I first got a bike.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
msrutzie said:
Went to N* this past Saturday. .

We started on Livewire and Gypsy. I wasn't impressed with the trail design or the trails. Super loose and dusty. Riding the trails reminded by of moto riding. Since I'm into technical rocky stuff and not getting big air I didn't like either trail. I didn't like the trail design either. At Deer Valley I never once questioned what was on the other side of a ramp. Deer Valley gave you options and all the landing zones were really well built. At Northstar the qualifier getting gives you no indication what's on the other side of the lip and then dumps into onto a rocky section with a large crack.

I agree. I was up there on Sat also. Live wire was irrigated fire road with big water bars. Gypsy was aiight, but not worth 39$. I thought the best top to bottom was:
Stick&Stones to Twigs&Berries(i think) to Speed Control to Pho-Dog.
I would go back maybe one more time but I would drink more and spend more time on the trails I mentioned
But big props to Asa for getting my bike straight

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm usually the first one to rave about N*. I love it up there. But this season the trail guys seem to be very focused on building jumps everywhere (with some very dubious lips and washed out transitions in places) but seem to have completely missed the point with the berms - most of the trails that I loved last year (that saw constant maintenance) had some great flowing, bermed corners and whoopy sections. This year the berms just seem to have been forgotten about and the trails are loosing their flow :(

For example, Gypsy was my favorite trail by far last year but it's a real mess now. I really loved the jumps just past the fireroad crossing after the tunnel but they went a little mad with them IMHO, fine, so you need to haul it and get mad airborne now, that's kinda fun but the landings are so messed up that I've totally sketched out a couple of times now, it's kinda pointless hitting them in the way they were intended to be hit.

I really think they've tarnished the souls of quite a few trails, it's hard to understand to purpose of some of them now - unless it's just a case of covering the mountain in a squillion jumps. If that's the case then this year will be last season pass year, there's so many great trails around tahoe that I'm now thinking I should leave the park alone and go and explore some of world's best singletrack instead.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hold on there (>msrutzie), true Northstar is no Whistler, and there is room for big improvements; but it's a great option for this area. Your review above was based on only a few of the resort's trails. Did you try Karpiel? Dogbone? Boondocks? Woods? Pho Dogg? The dry/dusty conditions are what the mountain is stuck with; mad props to them for irrigating a whole run! Plus Northstar does offer a variety - berms/jumps/irrigated/smooth (Livewire), drops/jumps/rocks/intermediate (Gypsy), boulders/drops/technical (Dogbone), smooth/flowy/easy (Mineshaft), etc. Riders that rip there develop the skills to do so. What a local community this would be if everyone just saved their money for Whistler!

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Kevin G said:
Hold on there (>msrutzie), true Northstar is no Whistler, and there is room for big improvements; but it's a great option for this area. Your review above was based on only a few of the resort's trails. Did you try Karpiel? Dogbone? Boondocks? Woods? Pho Dogg? The dry/dusty conditions are what the mountain is stuck with; mad props to them for irrigating a whole run! Plus Northstar does offer a variety - berms/jumps/irrigated/smooth (Livewire), drops/jumps/rocks/intermediate (Gypsy), boulders/drops/technical (Dogbone), smooth/flowy/easy (Mineshaft), etc. Riders that rip there develop the skills to do so. What a local community this would be if everyone just saved their money for Whistler!
Been a winter season pass holder of N* for several years now. Not fond of what they are doing to the winter crowd (catering to home owners and trying to make it a private resort) and, in general, just don't like the direction they are taking with thier development. Thought I'd try it for a summer option this year. No, I didn't ride all the trails. After what I did ride I wasn't motivated or confident in the trail conditions or design to feel up to exploring double blacks when the single blacks were in such bad shape. Certainly didn't want to get in over my head and, after hearing a few poor reviews from trusthworthy friends, decided N* wasn't what I was looking for. I know many people rave about it, it's just not what I had hoped for.

I believe there is a ton of potential at N* and I'm big on local community but it wasn't what I was hoping for after riding Deer Valley where I felt much more confident in the trail conditions and design.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
msrutzie said:

We started on Livewire and Gypsy. I wasn't impressed with the trail design or the trails. Super loose and dusty. Riding the trails reminded me of moto riding. Since I'm into technical rocky stuff and not getting big air I didn't like either trail. I didn't like the trail design either. At Deer Valley I never once questioned what was on the other side of a ramp. Deer Valley gave you options and all the landing zones were really well built. At Northstar the qualifier gives you no indication what's on the other side of the lip and then dumps into onto a rocky section with a large crack. One of our riders got his tire stuck in the crack and took a fall.

I dunno judging by the bike (sorry if I stereotype) maybe N* isn't the right place for you. I was frequenting N* long before the "flowy trails" (Gypsy & Livewire) existed. N* has always been a rocky dust bowl. If you like technical runs head over to Karpiel, Stick n' stones etc. I am no jumper but respect the technical terrain N* offers. I go to N* to do battle on each run, full body armor and a 7" + DH bike. Downeiville offers an XC riders a touch of DH, N* is hardcore DH.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
msrutzie said:

Definitely agree that the members of the Nor Cal forum should pass North* up this year and ride TRT, Flume, Toads, whatever, anything else is rockin' at Tahoe. You should especially avoid LiveWire, Gypsy and Boondocks, and especially when I'm up there.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Been on N* twice so far and would agree with Kevin and SwellGuy.
First time (last year) I went on Nomad and while it's DH worthy steed it beat the carp out of me and we had to call it at 2:00pm with locked knuckles and the back. This year I went on full DH sled (Socom) and what a difference it makes.
Looking at a picture is it Superlight? Flameout will be most for this bike and I can clearly see why it felt slow ;)
As far as ability to see the landing, well we are talking about Black diamonds there not dropping from the curbs, right? I'm not new to jumping but I never hit the stunt from the get go, so once you see it, go back and hit it.

While I dislike the dust as much as everyone else, it's what the mountain made of. Mammoth = kitty littler, N* = dust bath. For tacky trails I guess we have to go to Colorado or Canada. What I do enjoy is different type of riding those places have to offer, even tho sometimes I would feel more safe with the raft and paddle going/plowing down some of those trails.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
WOW...certainly not a local by any means...but I did get to spend an entire day there last year...did 37 MILES OF NOTHING BUT DH...my cousin and I hit ALL the trails...yes we definently looked liked "pig pen" afterwards...and some trails were not as fun as others, but for the most part we found some trails that made the day!!! MsRutzie you missed it, It was way over my head too, but we tried the double blacks and one turned out to be AWESOME!!!!...found it way to dusty on the fireroads or more heavily traveled trails, but to hell with it...I was there to ride em all...weee hawww!!

BTW MsRutzie...the outfit is VERY HOT!!!! You look like a Pro already!!

Ed

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
All About the Bike

msrutzie, I have to wonder how your experience would have been different if you rode a true DH bike there. Looking at the image, yours looks like an XC-ish rig. N* is all about big hit/big travel bikes. The trails there only make sense when you have that kind of travel/geometry.

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Recall what double blacks you tried? I liked the technical stuff on Little Trees/Flameout/Woods but Gypsy and Live Wire were not what I was looking for. I doubt we'll be back but if I do I'd appreciate your input because I know what kind of rider you are. We had a dozen riders there and everyone left a little underwhelmed. Everyone raves about N* so my expectations were set pretty high and I was hoping to spend the day in the SDA's which won't be open this season.

I'm headed up to check out Kirkwood this weekend. Not sure I can convince my friend to ride there but even talking to the staff will be good. We'll be back to ride there early fall and maybe check out one of their DH clinics.

Yeah, ya gotta look the part! When did moto go pink? Pink certainly wasn't an option when I rode dirt bikes!!

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
msrutzie said:
Recall what double blacks you tried? I liked the technical stuff on Little Trees/Flameout/Woods but Gypsy and Live Wire were not what I was looking for. I doubt we'll be back but if I do I'd appreciate your input because I know what kind of rider you are. We had a dozen riders there and everyone left a little underwhelmed. Everyone raves about N* so my expectations were set pretty high and I was hoping to spend the day in the SDA's which won't be open this season.

I'm headed up to check out Kirkwood this weekend. Not sure I can convince my friend to ride there but even talking to the staff will be good. We'll be back to ride there early fall and maybe check out one of their DH clinics.

Yeah, ya gotta look the part! When did moto go pink? Pink certainly wasn't an option when I rode dirt bikes!!
Don't do kirkwood.:madman: Save your $$$ and ride toads instead. I am not joking. or just drive to Mammoth
Mammoth is better than N* and N* is far better than Kirkwood.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.