Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Apparently northstar is sure they will have lower mountain open June 10th, even if they gotta dig it out... I'll hopefully make it the second Saturday if it actually does open the 10th, so I guess that's the 17th or 18th... See you guys there!!!

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,092 Posts
If everyone who has posted in a N*/snow thread took one shovelful of snow, that would be enough to dig out the lower mountain! Woods/Mineshaft are fun, not sure they are worth paying for on their own.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Paid for my usual season pass at SOC so its already been paid for. Gonna go June 10. New girlfriend's interested in riding so I'll probably rent a Glory for her and maybe have her try out the new lessons.

·
PokeyOne
304 Posts
N* emailed me..Limited trails until July

I just got word from them that The Gondola will be open, but limited upper trails at least untill the end of June.

Ashland is well worth the trip. I'm going up the week before the super D.
Trails should be superb.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Does anyone who really lives here and noticed that more snow fell up there today honestly believes that upper mountain is really going to be open by July 4th?

Glad now that I didn't buy that season pass, but gonna be bummed at the late start.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Not a chance

Swell Guy said:
Does anyone who really lives here and noticed that more snow fell up there today honestly believes that upper mountain is really going to be open by July 4th?

Glad now that I didn't buy that season pass, but gonna be bummed at the late start.
Maybe by the end of July?

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Swell Guy said:

Haha! Its snowing right now at my place, there is an inch new on the ground. N* is screwed this season and I agree. I'm glad I didn't buy a pass. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
so...

Who wants to go up early and start digging out livewire and gypsy? I'm down. I bet over two days with 20-30 people and a little machinery we could clear livewire NP, and probably get a pretty solid start on gypsy too.

Oh if only N* was connected enough with the riders to allow that to happen. Cause I'd be there with a shovel.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Only takes 7 days of riding for the pass to be worth it. Between that and the convenience of going straight for the lifts when you arrive, it's still worth it if you go later in the season. August, Sept.. no brainers.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you live up there, yeah it's not much of a problem. If you are married, with kids, and live in/farther than the bay area, the likelihood of riding 7 days straight isn't very good. Even if you break that 7 days into weekends, that's 4 seperate weekends you need in order to break even. Divide those 4 weekends into Aug-Oct and that means you'd have to hit N* every other weekend, which ins't probable because you have kids, the wife, and other prior engagements. If you have June and July that would definitely leave more room to schedule trips but as it looks now, it would all have to be crammed within those short few months.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
So buy 3 packs, its cheaper. And find something closer (like pacifica or SC) to ride when you're not at N*. Thats the thing, you have the flexibility to go either way so its not really a big deal it'll be a late season this year.

scaryfast said:
If you live up there, yeah it's not much of a problem. If you are married, with kids, and live in/farther than the bay area, the likelihood of riding 7 days straight isn't very good. Even if you break that 7 days into weekends, that's 4 seperate weekends you need in order to break even. Divide those 4 weekends into Aug-Oct and that means you'd have to hit N* every other weekend, which ins't probable because you have kids, the wife, and other prior engagements. If you have June and July that would definitely leave more room to schedule trips but as it looks now, it would all have to be crammed within those short few months.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Not likely

William42 said:
so...

Who wants to go up early and start digging out livewire and gypsy? I'm down. I bet over two days with 20-30 people and a little machinery we could clear livewire NP, and probably get a pretty solid start on gypsy too.

Oh if only N* was connected enough with the riders to allow that to happen. Cause I'd be there with a shovel.
Northstar's problem is they have to deal with the TRPA and Lahotan Water District in regards to sediment in the water run-off. You could go dig out all the trails and you wouldnt be able to ride on them without N* getting fined up the a**. They got in big trouble a few years back when they ran the park on a rainy day. Its BS but a fact of life here in Tahoe.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's hard to compare Pacifica to N*, it's like apples and oranges.

Ya, I'll definitely have to mix it up but was hoping to enjoy the star as much as I can being I just build up a new DH rig for the season.

I didn't know you can buy 3 packs, I'll have to look into that.

big_slacker said:
So buy 3 packs, its cheaper. And find something closer (like pacifica or SC) to ride when you're not at N*. Thats the thing, you have the flexibility to go either way so its not really a big deal it'll be a late season this year.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts