Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that may not be aware Shaw Outdoor Center parking and trails are closed to all non Norwich University employees and Students.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Students from out of state are quarantining there before school starts.

Also, the Northfield Forest trails are still still open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it’s not just for their quarantine period, it’s for the foreseeable future.

btw, multiple NU students arrived and have tested positive for Covid.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK I didn't see this and went over there to ride as I normally have today. No access issues and I saw the usual hikers, etc.

BUT they have taken an excavator to the system as well as a mulcher/brush hog head. Many of the upper trails (orange) have significant damage. I don't know if the plan is to go in there and repair later or what but its a hell of a mess at the moment.

Any info on long term plans appreciated.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I don't know if the plan is to go in there and repair later or what but its a hell of a mess at the moment.

Any info on long term plans appreciated.
This damage is in the process of being cleaned up. It is part of a mowing operation.

On the bike trails going forward the closure is temporary. The 500 students that just came in last week were the 500 most dangerous in terms of their home towns and the Corona virus. There were 3 that tested hot, but these quick tests are known for false pos so maybe not all were true cases. 1500 more students come in this week from less hot zones. The closures are for quarantine reasons. It's reasonable to expect some more cases, but personally, I feel comfortable with what's happening.

Parking may be an issue. There will be 4 spaces available at the medical center, with access up the grassy hill and onto green trail north. The next best access point is to park on the street. The top of Prospect St. is legal street parking, and you can climb to the right from the top of the street up Hill St. and around the gate up into Cheney field and connect to the PMT. You can also Climb the Slate Ave trail as an access. It's a great climb, and those are beautiful woods that aren't often appreciated at the blur-speed we descend that trail.

The Ridge trail from the Rock Cairn may best be skipped for a while. It will lead you out to the VAST trail and send you back down to the bottom half of Pony Express which means you'll have to climb Phil's again to get to the Cairn.

I've personally only ridden the ridge and orange trail once this year. There's a good bit of riding without having to deal with the reroute.

Climb to the Summit and descend past the Hawk watch shelter down the Goat path and down pony express to kingston rd.

Climb the overgrown road for a minute and go in on the right over the stone wall and climb that single track, the Pot/Raspberry tr. to the VAST. Turn right. Climb the VAST to the TOP. New trail on the left, Blood Root, will connect you over to Phil's and the climb back to the Ridge trail and the Rock Cairn.

Zoom down the PMT (Fast and fun) and turn right to go back up towards the Hawk Watch. Shortly after the top of the "Rock Garden" section of this climb you can find (if you are observant) a faint trail on the left, George's trail. (this is not the double track immediately at the top of the Rock Garden, although you can pick up the Blood Trail there for a short cut) Go out/up Georges. After several minutes you will start to go down hill. Go slow. You will come to an intersection where a faint single track crosses the double track. Turn sharp left onto Crossface tr. This underused single track brings you out onto a fast, fun and rocky 4 wheeler trail with a good line burned in. After a few fun and wreckless (hopefully)moments the Blood Trail goes in on the right. Enjoy this newly discovered section of single track and continue to flow down. Once again you emerge onto a double track, and almost immediately dive back in to the left on another single track. This short trail called Vernal has a short scenic climb, then drops in, essentially for you to rip down, onto the PMT for a short spell, and right into Slate Ave trail.

These two decidedly DH runs of trail both come in at about 1100 vertical, and range from 1.3 to about 2.5 miles with only short sections of pedaling required. I suggest this ride is a solid 2.5...and maybe over 3 hours depending on pace and how much weed you smoke.

If you want more, you could go past Georges and go back up to the Hawk Watch and find a brand new trail, Eastbound and Down. It's "experty" and deep loam with intentional awkward turns and hidden $hit lurking in the leaves and bushes. It feeds you right back onto Blood Root and over to Phil's for the climb up to the Cairn, the rip down to the Rock Garden and the climb out George's to Crossface/Blood tr/Vernal/Slate ave. This ride will be over 3 hours. Maybe 4.

Enjoy the fresh stuff until the old favs are back on line.

Back to lurking and laughing at the trolls.

·
2,603 Posts
Thanks for he clarification, Dave. Did a nice big Northfield ride yesterday and easily avoided the Norwich trails by starting and ending on Slate Ave. Also didn’t see another person for the 3+ hour ride. Great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This damage is in the process of being cleaned up. It is part of a mowing operation.

On the bike trails going forward the closure is temporary. The 500 students that just came in last week were the 500 most dangerous in terms of their home towns and the Corona virus. There were 3 that tested hot, but these quick tests are known for false pos so maybe not all were true cases. 1500 more students come in this week from less hot zones. The closures are for quarantine reasons. It's reasonable to expect some more cases, but personally, I feel comfortable with what's happening.

Parking may be an issue. There will be 4 spaces available at the medical center, with access up the grassy hill and onto green trail north. The next best access point is to park on the street. The top of Prospect St. is legal street parking, and you can climb to the right from the top of the street up Hill St. and around the gate up into Cheney field and connect to the PMT. You can also Climb the Slate Ave trail as an access. It's a great climb, and those are beautiful woods that aren't often appreciated at the blur-speed we descend that trail.

The Ridge trail from the Rock Cairn may best be skipped for a while. It will lead you out to the VAST trail and send you back down to the bottom half of Pony Express which means you'll have to climb Phil's again to get to the Cairn.

I've personally only ridden the ridge and orange trail once this year. There's a good bit of riding without having to deal with the reroute.

Climb to the Summit and descend past the Hawk watch shelter down the Goat path and down pony express to kingston rd.

Climb the overgrown road for a minute and go in on the right over the stone wall and climb that single track, the Pot/Raspberry tr. to the VAST. Turn right. Climb the VAST to the TOP. New trail on the left, Blood Root, will connect you over to Phil's and the climb back to the Ridge trail and the Rock Cairn.

Zoom down the PMT (Fast and fun) and turn right to go back up towards the Hawk Watch. Shortly after the top of the "Rock Garden" section of this climb you can find (if you are observant) a faint trail on the left, George's trail. (this is not the double track immediately at the top of the Rock Garden, although you can pick up the Blood Trail there for a short cut) Go out/up Georges. After several minutes you will start to go down hill. Go slow. You will come to an intersection where a faint single track crosses the double track. Turn sharp left onto Crossface tr. This underused single track brings you out onto a fast, fun and rocky 4 wheeler trail with a good line burned in. After a few fun and wreckless (hopefully)moments the Blood Trail goes in on the right. Enjoy this newly discovered section of single track and continue to flow down. Once again you emerge onto a double track, and almost immediately dive back in to the left on another single track. This short trail called Vernal has a short scenic climb, then drops in, essentially for you to rip down, onto the PMT for a short spell, and right into Slate Ave trail.

These two decidedly DH runs of trail both come in at about 1100 vertical, and range from 1.3 to about 2.5 miles with only short sections of pedaling required. I suggest this ride is a solid 2.5...and maybe over 3 hours depending on pace and how much weed you smoke.

If you want more, you could go past Georges and go back up to the Hawk Watch and find a brand new trail, Eastbound and Down. It's "experty" and deep loam with intentional awkward turns and hidden $hit lurking in the leaves and bushes. It feeds you right back onto Blood Root and over to Phil's for the climb up to the Cairn, the rip down to the Rock Garden and the climb out George's to Crossface/Blood tr/Vernal/Slate ave. This ride will be over 3 hours. Maybe 4.

Enjoy the fresh stuff until the old favs are back on line.

Back to lurking and laughing at the trolls.

First and foremost thank you for posting a a workaround and routes.

Second, the 3 are confirmed COVID, it’s not a “hot test” they were confirmed and unlike Manchester they were added to the state numbers for Central VT.

Third, the students coming to campus are not from “hot zones” they are core cadets from what ever state they previously lived. Some upper classmen chose to come early to quarantine, others were required as they are new rooks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts