Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
coming up to northern vermont next week for a riding vacation. most likely will be at kingdom trails 2 days, bolton valley 1 day and millstone 1 1/2 days. also, will have the gf in tow and she'll probably ride 1/4 of the time or so. she's usually good for a 2 hour ride and can handle rocks and logs, but nothing too steep or man made. given those constraints, what are the trails that can't be missed?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Catamount Family Center in Williston is a nice place to ride and hang out -- I think you can camp there too if I'm not mistaken. It's well marked and compact and would be a good place to bring the gf in case she wants to bail at any point. Riding is decidedly xc but has some tricky spots. I don't know if I would classify it a must do ride, but a good place with a little bit of everything.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Given your description I would also recommend Catamount Outdoor Center. There is also SleepyHollow that is close to Catamount but it is quite a bit more challenging technically. I personally love SleepyHollow but depending on your wife skills Catamount might be the better choice.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Stowe.....good GF loop behind Irie Cycles
Waterbury (perry hill)......a good ride to not have her in tow for.
Waitsfield...Just rode there for the first time last week. Dennyland was good, tech single track.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey, can waterbury and bolton valley be rolled into one day? or is bolton valley an all day kind of place.

mostly i'm looking for the best of the best trails in kingdom trails and millstone for myself and a couple of longish but not too tech rides to bring the gf on but have nice views or whatever.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
There is tons of good riding in Northern Vermont. How many days are you riding there? If you're staying at the KT, you could check out the Jay Peak area (Montgomery and Jay has some great riding!) which is about 45min from the KT. Just accross the border there is a 18km (12mi) loop that is pretty technical in Coaticook, QC. The trails has been rebuilt in late may by the IMBA trails care crew along with ADSVM.org and bikers from Quebec. The terrain is compact and your gf might also enjoy a nice loop by using the shortcuts to avoid the more techy stuff... Again, 45min south is Millstone Hills which is pretty nice also.

I would stay away from Sleepy Hollow with your girlfriend... I found the trail to be "technical" but on the badside of the terms... meaning: No flow and useless rocks! Rocks are fun when the trail has flow... doing 2mph avoiding rocks on flat isn't my idea of fun... maybe it's just me!

Check out www.fotwheel.og for some riding opportunity and a few maps located on their kingdom...

I should be in the area in 2 weeks... 7-9th of July... Our plan is Jericho, Millstone Hills and Waturbury.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I would recomend bringing your GF to Kingdom trails then. Everything at Waterbury is hard, cardio, and tech. The darling hill section of KT is not hard at all. Bolton is lift served riding and if your paying, you'll prolly want to stay all day. All the riding in Waitsfiled is hard. The riding in Stowe is all hard except for the loops behind the shop (Irie) which is moderate tech with moderate cardio. Millstone I have no Idea about as far as cardio or tech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.