Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Abby Normal
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the midst of a winter bike project and am looking to find a decent powder coat shop - preferably somewhere between Boulder and Ft. Collins. Not looking for high-end work (ie, Spectrum) but just someone that knows how to deal with blasting and powder coating bicycle frames. Suggestions?

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
James of Black Sheep suggested to me the following: Ultimate Coatings. He said they
charge about $75 for a good finish. You can reach them at 970.482.6895

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts

·
Abby Normal
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dr. Noonan said:
Coating specialties in Windsor did a great job on an old Mongoose Motomag frame of mine. $75 for the frame and fork to be powder coated and then painted a real nice candy blue.

http://www.coloradocoatingspecialties.com/
+1 for Coating Specialties. I dropped off my frame last Saturday and got it back yesterday, so less than a week turn around. They stripped, powder coated a dark metallic green and clear coated my frame and fork for 90 bucks. Overall quality is good - the clear coat definitely gives it a more lustrous finish. There are a few little spots that aren't quite perfect, and some areas that I had to clean up a little myself (bottom of head tube and around some of the eyelets). But well worth 90 bucks.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Any idea on what their process is for removing existing paint? Sand blast? Media blast? Heating it up?

Just curious as I've been warned that certain ways to remove paint can make heat treated aluminum brittle and more likely to crack. I've got a frame that I want to get repainted and these guys are close and appear to do good work.

Anyone have pics from their work?

·
Abby Normal
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They sand blasted my frame, but it's steel. I am sure you could give em' a ring and discuss it with them (they were happy to discuss their methods with me ahead of time as I had a few questions myself).

Here's a few pics, no super close ups but it's a nice finish overall. A couple of very minor little spots that could have been better, but nothing you would notice without really scrutinizing it up close. Some rough edges around some of the areas they taped off (mainly the eyelets and bottom of head tube) that weren't a big deal for me to clean up myself. I have seen several bikes done for $125-150 at another local shop that looked pretty crudy compared to this. A good finish for $90.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.