Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Gainsville?

I need to be in Gainsville for a new job the 1st and 3rd week in August.
Any shops in the area that may rent a single speed or even a road bike to use during the week? Any placed I should try and ride if I get the chance?

KMan

SSTed29r said:
Hollar when you get to florida.
Reddick is about middle between Tampa/Jax.
Mondo and I can meet you there or Santos for some
inconceivable florida single track riding.

Ted

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
If you are heading to Gainseville, definitely check out San Felasco. There are about 20 miles worth of fast and flowing singletrack - and since most of the trails are bi-directional, you can easily loop together a full days worth of riding. I found the trails to be perfect for singlespeeding (I run a 2:1).

As far as SSer's in J-ville, I was just up there last weekend on my 1x1 and my cousin was riding my singlespeed Blur. But we were just visiting, so I guess we don't really count. Hanna Park is yet another fast and flowing trail system, where again due to the bi-directionality of the trails, you can put together long rides.

Fort Clinch is also close to the J-ville area. The trails are descent, but how many other trail systems have a 200 year old Fort sitting on the beach?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
San Felasco is supposed to be sort of flat, tame, sandy singletrack. There are some trails of mixed quality called the Powerlines, but they are on provate property and the last time I was there, we had a nasty run-in with some well-concealed barbed wire.
Santos, also called Barge Canals, has some very nice quarry riding. There are two trailheads, one which is the one everyone seems to use and starts off at some singletrack, the other starts off at the beginning of a nice, very technical quarry ride with some makeshift stunts built in.
Not far from there there is another set of trails called Hardrock, which is also fast, technical rock quarry kind of stuff with some steeper climbs not cleanable on an SS.
Dunno about where you can find a bike to rent, but give Chain Reaction a call, there are some SS guys there. The number is 373 4052.
Tim

·
Registered
480 Posts
catzilla was right. You must go to san felasco,hanna park,fortclinch. Hardrock has been closed to mtbs for almost two years. It is only open to motocross now.

san felasco- 1 1/2 hrs from center of jax
hanna park- 35 min from center of jax
fortclinch - almost an hour from center of jax
reddick- about an hour and 40 min
santos almost 2 hours

reddick and santos,you will swear you are not in florida. Awesome riding. You might ride with a local the first time or go slower if you are a racer type or you will find your self hucking yourself off of a cliff.

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
Powerlines in Gainesville is basically closed now too, several riders have been cited for tresspassing.

I haven't been to San Felasco when it is dry and sandy, I imagine that some sections could really suck, but it is an extremely fun trail. Flow is exceptional, and while there is nothing steep, the rolling hills and smooth trails make for some fast, fun riding. It almost feels like it was designed for SS. Besides the great riding, the park is beautiful.

Reddick/Razorback is worth the trip from Jacksonville. It is only open on weekends, and it's like a big dirt roller coaster. Very fun, though some sections will kick your ass.

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
Lots south of you on the east coast, but I saw a few SS at last year's Alafia FTF so there must be some in your neck of the woods too. Somebody was sporting some nice Chester Ti, and I saw a few 1x1s.

·
Registered
54 Posts
DancingBear said:
Lots south of you on the east coast, but I saw a few SS at last year's Alafia FTF so there must be some in your neck of the woods too. Somebody was sporting some nice Chester Ti, and I saw a few 1x1s.
That was me on the Chester. Thanks
A month after that, it developed a crack(after three years), and Matt fabbed
me up a 29r to replace it. The 29r rocks. Not sure where I'm riding Sunday. Probably
Carter road since the big Trail to trail race is in a few weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.