Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The threat of rain must have scared most riders away. Only 6 of us were out at Tokul Creek yesterday.

I drove out early around 8am to ride the snack and beer into the lunch area. On my way out there, I passed by the parking area where we were to meet and was totally dismayed to see it packed full of vehicles. Apparently there was a running race being held in the same area. I passed several runners on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail (SVT) on the way up to the Tokul Creek East "entrance". Looked painful. :D

The beer stashed in the creek to keep cool, I headed back to the parking area. The riders trickled in by vehicle, except for Kent who rode from his place in Issaquah. Bob (redhaze) and Dan (Glowboy) drove up from Longview and Adam from Sultan rounded out the troop. Ian (MinesAPint) started off w/ us but was just getting over a cold and so called it a day after the climb up from the slough.

Trails were in fairly good shape and we were under the trees for the majority of the time. Every so often, the sun would peek out and remind us that it still existed. I did my best imitation of a slow speed pinwheel down one of the steeper descents in an attempt to keep the troop amused. Everyone seemed to have a good time (who knows what they said behind my back) and I rediscovered my loathing for WTB tires on wet roots & rocks. We got wetter on the SVT return than from any trails at Tokul Creek.

Thankx to all who showed and watched my obvious lack of riding skill. Might have to do one of these again in a little bit better weather.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exposed

screampint said:
Any pictures?
I took a couple at the lunch log area and Glowboy took a few as well. Probably should have stopped and taken more.

Best line of the day. We're looking west across the valley towards the Sammamish Plateau. Glowboy goes "is that snow over there?" What he thought was snow was in actuality a whole ton of housing development on the ridgeline. We did see a little snow later on looking towards Snoqualmie Pass.

Saw one little red breasted hummingbird too.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Thanks to Kevin for hosting a great ride. There might only have been 6 of us but at least we were all on singlespeeds. Maybe this will be like the ConvergenSS and turn into 50 people next year. I do have some pics that turned out, may not be able to post them until tomorrow night though.

JRA said:
We did see a little snow later on looking towards Snoqualmie Pass.
At first I thought I was just seeing really big houses.

JRA said:
Saw one little red breasted hummingbird too.
While we were at the lunch log, I saw a few mosquitoes that were almost as big as that hummingbird too!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Danke Kevin!

Dat wuz a goot time. 'speshally goot wuz trying to ride after having a whole Christmas Brew. Tried to wheelie over a mud puddle and found co-ordination was shot. Must remember to tone it back next time, right?

Climbing the same gravel road over and over again was interesting but that is the best way to get to all the different trail-lines up there, pretty steep country.

Looking forward to some sunny weather rides (Moab/Fruita next week!)

bike ON
bob

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cleanup ride

red-haze.com said:
Climbing the same gravel road over and over again was interesting but that is the best way to get to all the different trail-lines up there, pretty steep country.
One good thing about being the one that picks up the party leftovers is that you get to enjoy any remainders. Went in this evening, a beautiful sunny one, and got the things we'd left out there. Nothing had been disturbed. I enjoyed a cool IPA looking out towards the "snow" then it was back down the trail to the vehicle and home.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Photos! Sorry for the delay ...

At the entrance to the SVT ... Bob (redhaze.com), Ian (MinesAPint), Kevin (JRA), Kent and Adam:

Here's Kent walking a muddy stretch. In preparation for a long bike tour, Kent took his full "touring" setup on the ride. Impressive. With semislicks, I can't blame him for walking this section:

Kevin displaying the stick that actually managed to stop Bob temporarily (not easily done):

And sampling Kevin's excellent homebrew at the lunch log:

- Dan

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
screampint said:
Finally the pictures. I was beginning to think that you all collaborated the story and just hung out next to the fireplace with ice cream since it was rainy (that's what this desert rat would do).
You are right. The photos are faked. :p

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not fake

shiggy said:
You are right. The photos are faked. :p
No shiggy , not fake, My freewheel, has not sounded the same since the ride, grindy grindy, Adam on the Kona.
The beer, wow, 3beers, 5 people,(Eon missed out) I think we all got a little buzzed for 20 minutes or so, at least me and BOB.
Yesterday I rode the crosscheck fixed in St eds with kyle, eon, chris and paul, fairly flat, less drivetrain wear. It was drying out though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.