Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem a silly question given it's the most congested part of the most congested state, but I live in the NE corner of NJ, and am getting a bit tired of driving all the way out to Ringwood or up to Harriman or Westchester, and I'd love to hear if anyone knows of trails -- any size or difficulty will do -- in the Northeast corner of the state. I find myself hitting Piermont a bit becuase it's only 15 minutes away, but I'm looking for more trails I can do during the week. Ringwood and Blue Mountain are fine for weekends, but I'm desperate for fun trails closer to the Westwood area. Anything you got is much appreciated. Best -

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think some of the trails over at Palisades Park (about 10 miles north of the GWB) are bike-friendly, but definitely check with the park officials first. I only mention it because I've been hiking there a couple times and have seen people riding the fireroads, but I'm not sure if they were poaching or not.

·
Registered
540 Posts
a coworker of mine who lived in Harrington Pk, used to ride to/in NJ Alpine BoyScout camp. Whether or not its legal is another story. There is also Tweed Mtn in Orangeburg just over the border. I've riden along the river in River Vale. You park near the bridge by the Bayler Massacre site and it follows allong the Pascack Brook(?) and its relatively flat. Whether thats legal who knows.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sorry NJ-XC-Justin, but to my knowledge, mountain biking on county lands trails in Bergen County is not legal at this time. Whether it is inforced, is another thing. Closest legal riding I can think of might be the Cannonball Trail Head off Barbara Dr. in Oakland. That is state park land.

If the Bergen bike ban is not your liking, I recommend that you and any other bikers get involved with a local advocay group(JORBA) or write letters to the Board of Chosen Freeholders and the County Executive who have the final say on this issue. In my opinion, this ban is discriminatory in nature and is not in character with the State's multi-use ideals.

In the mean time many of us Bergen County residents have "gone to the dark side" (i.e. added road riding to our recreation) in order to fill our lives with biking. I'm the first one to admitt that road biking is no substitute for mountain biking, but it's so easy to go right out your door and hop on a bike and ride. You can be up in Harriman in an hour and enjoy the woods (although from the road) and escape the traffic of Bergen. It makes the days that I ride the trails at Ringwood even more special.

Good luck and lets hope these close minded Counties come around.

pixy

·
Registered
25 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
This may seem a silly question given it's the most congested part of the most congested state, but I live in the NE corner of NJ, and am getting a bit tired of driving all the way out to Ringwood or up to Harriman or Westchester, and I'd love to hear if anyone knows of trails -- any size or difficulty will do -- in the Northeast corner of the state. I find myself hitting Piermont a bit becuase it's only 15 minutes away, but I'm looking for more trails I can do during the week. Ringwood and Blue Mountain are fine for weekends, but I'm desperate for fun trails closer to the Westwood area. Anything you got is much appreciated. Best -
Try the trails along the brook on in Old Tappan/River Vale (there is a small lot on Old Tappan Rd near River Vale Rd) and the duck pond in Ridgewood. At Ridgewood start on the paved bike path and you will soon see a number of trails in the wooded areas. They are nothing like Ringwood, both are flat and not too challenging and will likely be very muddy.

·
Registered
540 Posts
djd said:
Try the trails along the brook on in Old Tappan/River Vale (there is a small lot on Old Tappan Rd near River Vale Rd) and the duck pond in Ridgewood. At Ridgewood start on the paved bike path and you will soon see a number of trails in the wooded areas. They are nothing like Ringwood, both are flat and not too challenging and will likely be very muddy.
thats the place i was thinking about.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

lawndart said:
thats the place i was thinking about.
Thanks, EtE, lawndart, pixy and djd -- You all rock. I've actually never done Cannonball run, and the Oakland and River Vale trails sound worth checking out.

Found out yesterday Piermont Bicycle Connection is finally getting some Rushes in! Westwood Cycle has some nice Giants -- what other shops do you guys hit?

(Lawndart -- as in The Lawndarts, the NJ band?)

·
Registered
540 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
Thanks, EtE, lawndart, pixy and djd -- You all rock. I've actually never done Cannonball run, and the Oakland and River Vale trails sound worth checking out.

Found out yesterday Piermont Bicycle Connection is finally getting some Rushes in! Westwood Cycle has some nice Giants -- what other shops do you guys hit?

(Lawndart -- as in The Lawndarts, the NJ band?)
Yep as in the band. Im in the Tombs Tones now. Lawndarts broke up. Id also try Campmor. Pretty nice bikeshop. stop on in

sean

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you bike better than you play

lawndart said:
Yep as in the band. Im in the Tombs Tones now. Lawndarts broke up. Id also try Campmor. Pretty nice bikeshop. stop on in

sean
Dude, it's me, Justin. Also with red hair. Too funny.

No **** you'd recommend Campmor -- plugging your own store.

I've got a kid coming in 5 weeks, so let's go biking. . . soon!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
My playing is better. Im out of shape.

Gaddam! Congrats! I just ordered my new bike yesterday...should have it by this weekend maybe next week it'll get built up. You know i had no idea who you were! Now if we can get Chuck on a bike....then again hes too clumsy.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr. Nasty can't bike

lawndart said:
Gaddam! Congrats! I just ordered my new bike yesterday...should have it by this weekend maybe next week it'll get built up. You know i had no idea who you were! Now if we can get Chuck on a bike....then again hes too clumsy.
There's no way Chuck would be remotely into biking. Unless it's music, chicks or revolution, he's not interested.

What bike did you get? I'm stopping by Campmor this week if you're around. I shouldn't even be thinking about a new ride right now, but I can't help drooling over these new full-suspensions.

I missed the Heshers/Love Cinema gig at Maxwells Saturday.

·
Registered
540 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
There's no way Chuck would be remotely into biking. Unless it's music, chicks or revolution, he's not interested.

What bike did you get? I'm stopping by Campmor this week if you're around. I shouldn't even be thinking about a new ride right now, but I can't help drooling over these new full-suspensions.

I missed the Heshers/Love Cinema gig at Maxwells Saturday.
We used to ride all over the place til we got our liscenses. I just ordered a Marin Wolf Ridge. Ill be there all week. im off today. Full suspensions are nice though.....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lawndart said:
We used to ride all over the place til we got our liscenses. I just ordered a Marin Wolf Ridge. Ill be there all week. im off today. Full suspensions are nice though.....
Sean - email me when you're going riding next. The weather's been lousy but this upcoming weekend I'm going twice if it's even tolerable out. [email protected].

I was just at Campmor and they have some karazy 2005 closeouts -- 1350 for a marin rock spring?? In my size no less. My wife ain't gonna like this...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.