Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inspired by our friends in other areas' FB gatherings, the few folks I know who have them & I have finalized a plan for a group ride here on the Washington Coast.

We'll meet in Ocean Shores Washington on Saturday, October 29th at the main beach entrance down town (next to the Shiloh Inn). Anyone with a fat bike is welcome. We'll let the weather and the group that show's up decide how far we ride. We'll shoot for 10:00am but if we get response from folks who are driving in just for the day from a few hours away, we can adjust the start time or play around in the sand 'till the late arrivals get there.

It is the North West Coast, so hope for the best weather but prepare for the worst... and of course, bring water and your favorite "trail snacks".

I'll check into public parking and such. Stay tuned for updates. Interested riders can PM me for contact info if they want. Camping is available at the adjacent State Park (direct access to the beach, so if you camp here, let us know and we'll meet you up the beach) and the Campground at the Marina (owned by the Quinalt Indians). Wide range of Motel Options, lots of info about the city of Ocean Shores on the web. All input is welcome.

Rain or Shine, a Few or a Bunch, It'll be a Fun, Fat time!

SEE YOU THERE!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like fun. I'm in the hunt for my first fatty right now but don't think I'll have one by the 29th, othewise I'd plan to be there. Good luck with the meet. Hopefully it'll become an annual event.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If my lottery numbers come up and i win the `big one` i will fly everyone here out :thumbsup:
Hope you get a group together Ward :)
Right back at ya CK, If my number's hit, I'll fly you all out and we'll head for the Oregon Dunes.

So far we have 4 (including myself) and 5 other's considering. Crossing our fingers for decent weather.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Bump"

Only a couple weeks away now. A few folks have contacted me that have ordered FB's and are hoping they arrive in time. Thought I'd bump this one back up for folks in the area that might have missed it. Thanks everyone!

-W

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Headed for the coast! Info on the first post is still accurate- 10:00 next to the Shiloh Inn (main beach access). 8 riders confirmed rain or shine, couple others if they're bikes arrive(ed) in time. Can't wait!

·
Registered
80 Posts
THIS is exactly why I am trying to buy FATBIKES for both me and the wife. I would love to ride the sand spits around Tokeland too.

Have fun!

What's the rule about camping? I used to camp near Kalaloch as a cub scout...I don't know what the current rule is for camping on the beach.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the ride vid from our 1st "NW Fatbikers" meet. Rained sideways the day before, but by sunrise, Mother Nature decided to take a break and gave us a full day of sunshine & light breeze's. 9 riders showed up... smilin' & laughin' all day long! Between 20 and 28 miles of beach riding depending on where you stayed, and something like 1500' of elev. change from the little dunes. Just a bunch of kids playin' on the beach!

·
Registered
15,016 Posts
I'm so mad at myself for not keeping the dates straight and ripping apart my Pugsley for a rebuild....:madman: I will be there next year for sure...:thumbsup:

I'm going to plan an OR dunes tour this spring if any PNW riders want to hook up for that let me know.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm so mad at myself for not keeping the dates straight and ripping apart my Pugsley for a rebuild....:madman: I will be there next year for sure...:thumbsup:

I'm going to plan an OR dunes tour this spring if any PNW riders want to hook up for that let me know.
Keep me posted when you get your dates figured out on the OR Dunes Tour. A friend & I would love to join you if the dates are doable. I might bring the big pan's & pack some beer on that one! Cool thing is, dispersed camping is legal on the O.D.N.R.A. (Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area). One of the only places left on the coast where you can camp w/o a campground.

·
Registered
15,016 Posts
Keep me posted when you get your dates figured out on the OR Dunes Tour. A friend & I would love to join you if the dates are doable. I might bring the big pan's & pack some beer on that one! Cool thing is, dispersed camping is legal on the O.D.N.R.A. (Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area). One of the only places left on the coast where you can camp w/o a campground.
@ Ward - I'm flexible, but have to respond to work issues. Let's shoot for May 25/26 weekend in general and schedule around that. I'd like to ride the whole length of the Dunes...so we may want to put a shuttle at the far end which would allow for some strategic beer/food caching along the route???

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ Ward - I'm flexible, but have to respond to work issues. Let's shoot for May 25/26 weekend in general and schedule around that. I'd like to ride the whole length of the Dunes...so we may want to put a shuttle at the far end which would allow for some strategic beer/food caching along the route???
That's Memorial Day Weekend down here in the US. Good for me 'cause I can add some days off around that weekend pretty easily. Will be a high traffic weekend though. Won't affect us much out on the beach's & non- motorized dunes. Don't want to try to drive home on that monday (Mem. Day) though, I-5 will be a zoo!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.