Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A decade ago I had the immense good fortune to participate in not just one but two amazing Alaskan traverses in the same loooooong summer.

The first was down in southeast, the second out on the AK peninsula.

Both involved riding (or pushing, or carrying, sometimes throwing) fatbikes along coastal beaches, connecting remote villages. Both used packrafts to cross rivers, bogs, swamps, and tidewater. Both were intensely challenging --and thus rewarding -- in novel ways.

The decade since that summer has seen a continual evolution in the course of my life. Until then I'd actively sought out land and trail-based adventures. Since then I've gravitated at least as much toward the blue spots on the maps.

Jeny hasn't craved moistened routes quite as much, but when I shared an idea that Roman pitched for an Alaskan coastal traverse she pretty quickly warmed to it. Above the arctic circle, midnight sun, no sub-zero bivies and all that.

We're putting the fine touches on packing right now, and will be gone for the next ~10 days. Please follow the links above -- re-reading if you've been here before -- to edutain yourself.

Need more? Check out the vids here and here.

Bon appetit.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts

Jeny hasn't craved moistened routes quite as much, but when I shared an idea that Roman pitched for an Alaskan coastal traverse she pretty quickly warmed to it. Above the arctic circle, midnight sun, no sub-zero bivies and all that.
I have a pretty good idea what this might be. I know a few fellas that attempted something that sounds exactly like this. I don't know if they were successful, but I have an idea where this begins and ends.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good luck sleeping also. I did some remote camping in Norway in July a couple years ago and never could fall asleep. That midnight sun is brutal.
When I lived in Anchorage and Kenai, Alaska I used to put cardboard over the windows. Looked like a meth house. There was usually some idiot out there at 1 AM mowing his lawn or something. I preferred the winters, especially after snowcat rims came around. I still remember seeing my first Pugsly at REI in Anchorage. A beautiful purple Pugsly with 4" tires. 4 inch tires? No way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.