Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been heading to Colorado for the last 7 years ( Durango, Breckenridge, Fruita, Crested Butte ) Just wondering where other Texans go for good riding within a days drive?

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
If you're willing to drive just a bit further then you should head to Salt Lake and the surrounding ares. EPIC! I had always gone to Colorado and was talked into trying the SLC area in 1998 and I've been back almost every summer since. Try it once and you'll Love it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have made it over to Utah ( Moab ) for a day trip while in Durango on a couple of occasions. But I would like to check out the southwestern part of the state not sure how SLC area compares?? What part of New Mexico are you talking about marxcamaro?? We usually drive through the Northern part ( Angel Fire / Cimmaron ) on our way to Durango and see trail markers and sweet singletrack just off the road that looks tasty but we're usually trying to get to our cabin in Durango so we never have stopped..

·
Registered
14 Posts
keithrad, we will be staying in the Angel Fire are and plan on riding there and Taos area. I have been trying to do some research on the different trails in those area. I will let you know how it is. I am ready to go now. 4 months and counting.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pedigre said:
The Palatinate Forest in Germany...various parts of Korea...oh, wait, those weren't/aren't vacations ;)

And most certainly not 15 hours away!

Did the Albuquerque area in 08 & 09 thanks to a conference held there back to back years. Great riding, even in August.
Ive also heard good things of Albuquerque from a buddy who downhills at Angel Fire. I just can't seem to get past Colorado only being a days drive. I'm afraid I would be dissapointed anywhere else!!

·
Builder of Trails
797 Posts
Head east, man!

Arkansas: The Womble and Ouchita Trails are awesome! The scenery is great, and the lodging is varied. Eureka Springs also has trails to offer.

GA, NC: Even further east is some great riding from Atlanta through the North GA mountains and into NC. Asheville, in particular, has a lot to offer.

TN: The Chattanooga area has riding similar to N. GA and allows easy access to NE GA riding.

You can get to Asheville (according to Google maps) in an hour less than the time it takes you to get to Fruita. Atlanta is four hours closer.

D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes we are hoping to do the whole gammit of things like rafting, biking, fishin and camping. Trying to get the best out of my week of vacation. Probably hit the New Mexico forum here and see what the locals have to say about the local trails in that area. Next year I am thinking about heading up to Colorado for vacation and checking out the trails there. Utah is also another vacation spot I would like to hit!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
dburatti said:
Head east, man!

Arkansas: The Womble and Ouchita Trails are awesome! The scenery is great, and the lodging is varied. Eureka Springs also has trails to offer.

Went to Mount Ida Arkansas 2 years ago and rode the Womble. Not saying it was bad, It just doesn't compare to the trails in the southwest imho. Although I definitetly want to check out the Ouchita trails farther north, as well as Devils Den.

As for Georgia ...(cue banjos)... only if Burt Reynolds has my back:nono: Just kidding. Some of that ( N.C. ) seems too far out there, though I'm sure there is good stuff to be enjoyed!

·
Builder of Trails
797 Posts
keithrad said:
Went to Mount Ida Arkansas 2 years ago and rode the Womble. Not saying it was bad, It just doesn't compare to the trails in the southwest imho. Although I definitetly want to check out the Ouchita trails farther north, as well as Devils Den.
It's definitely not the same. I don't think anything compares to the riding in the Big Bend area of Texas, but that's not going to keep me from riding elsewhere. You stated you had gone to CO the past seven years. In that period, you probably have ridden all the best stuff and repeated a little, too. My point was to suggest something different.

I like the riding in AZ, too, but chose not to post up about it. Anyway....

keithrad said:
As for Georgia ...(cue banjos)... only if Burt Reynolds has my back:nono: Just kidding. Some of that ( N.C. ) seems too far out there, though I'm sure there is good stuff to be enjoyed!
As I stated, it's closer than Fruita. Google map it. Don't be afraid!

D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dburatti said:
It's definitely not the same. I don't think anything compares to the riding in the Big Bend area of Texas, but that's not going to keep me from riding elsewhere. You stated you had gone to CO the past seven years. In that period, you probably have ridden all the best stuff and repeated a little, too. My point was to suggest something different.

And that's what the post was meant for :thumbsup: Again within a days drive.

I like the riding in AZ, too, but chose not to post up about it. Anyway....

Thats one I'd like to check out as well, particularly the Sedona area as I've known people that make regular trips back there.

As I stated, it's closer than Fruita. Google map it. Don't be afraid!

D
I'm heading out to ride. When I get home this evening I'll certainly map it and I will fear not:eekster:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Where are Y'all located at in North Texas. I am originally from AZ, but recently moved to the Panhandle for a new job/life in Dairy. I miss the AZ trails, but get my fix from Palo Duro and Mae Simmons in Lubbock.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just south of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. I've talked to some folks up in the panhandle and am planning a trip to Palo Duro this spring. Looks killer out there, with lots of stuff to dick around on...ledges ,drops etc. Kinda Fruita like..?

·
meh
1,213 Posts
At Lake View Lodge there is a trail head for a decent bit of singletrack, it connects to the Indian Nations Trail around there too and i believe its rideable, but never hit it, been a while since ive been...def worth bringing the bike though

here is the info on the trail i rode, there is a link to a map pdf...may be some other stuff too in the area
http://www.ouachitaadventures.com/Trails/BeaversBend/beaversbend.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
clewttu said:
At Lake View Lodge there is a trail head for a decent bit of singletrack, it connects to the Indian Nations Trail around there too and i believe its rideable, but never hit it, been a while since ive been...def worth bringing the bike though

here is the info on the trail i rode, there is a link to a map pdf...may be some other stuff too in the area
http://www.ouachitaadventures.com/Trails/BeaversBend/beaversbend.html
Thanks CLEW. Great link. I have heard nothing but good things since my post. Tomorrow afternoon cant come soon enough

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I want some of this, I've only riddin in Texas and atlanta and am heading to boulder/breck in 2 weeks. Also have family outside of Phoenix so a giant loop of boulder/ breck/ az/taos and back. Bringing skis and bikes. We like burly ledges like Emma Long. Recommendations?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.