·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what exactly is "North Shore"

a place?
a style of riding?
a style of terrain?

I see this term getting tossed around so much I don't know exactly what to make of it. From what I can tell it's a place in western BC with a bunch of wooden ramps integrated into the trails. But you have North Shore bikes, pads, components, etc.

Just confused as to what it all means. Thanks for any and all replies

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
GinoLicious said:
You video doesnt work. I wouldnt midn getting some hook ups of some sick riding videos in the trails across the planks and over some jumps and stuff. I cant find 2 many on thet net, and the ones i keep finding ive already seen. lol.
The link works fine for me, whatever

try this link instead, get the middle video.
http://www.petefagerlin.com/bcvid.htm

·
Registered
91 Posts
I remember an old epidso of ride guide talked about north shore. It all start in that north shore region where people start building bridges to connect what others thought of impossible trails. Then the idea started to expand from a simple connection bridge to some 20 foot drops stunt structure. The idea continue to expand in the mountain bike scence and people started to build stuff everywhere. So when you speak about north shore now you're not only refer to the place but also refer that particular riding style. As for those north shore bike, is just an marketing thing for manufactures to name their freeride machine as it is 'tough to the bone'.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
The ladder systems were also designed to keep riders off the wet and mud, to prevent erosion. Not all terrain is suitable, sometimes you even have more cool stuff for trail features that's natural, and you don't need to build.

formica

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
yep thanks and

most of the stuff evolved of necessity: ladders and logs to get over windfall trees, very common on the 'shore, and some areas were ecologically sensitive and as such were bypassed by structures of whatever was handy/durable to reroute riders and avoid forest damage.

And then it morphed into today's stuff. From XC HT bikes and 2.1 tires to 50lb. FR bikes and 2.5/3.0 and 8" discs. Full body armour replaced skin and bone. FF helmets instead of XC lids. Shuttle instead of climbing, although some of us still climb even on the big rigs.

Hope that explains it a bit.

Jim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks fellas that explains a lot. I guess it's just how a local riding scene turned into a marketing term is what confused me.

Interested to hear/see more

guess all we need now is "Moab" style bikes and gear, "Rocky Mountain" style, and "Dirty Jerz" style :D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
JimC. said:
most of the stuff evolved of necessity: ladders and logs to get over windfall trees, very common on the 'shore, and some areas were ecologically sensitive and as such were bypassed by structures of whatever was handy/durable to reroute riders and avoid forest damage.

And then it morphed into today's stuff. From XC HT bikes and 2.1 tires to 50lb. FR bikes and 2.5/3.0 and 8" discs. Full body armour replaced skin and bone. FF helmets instead of XC lids. Shuttle instead of climbing, although some of us still climb even on the big rigs.

Hope that explains it a bit.

Jim
here is a nice ladder

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
asin said:
One final addition to this thread!

I'm here on the Shore and this is a wicked resource: http://www.gutsploder.com/
It's maps and photos from the major riding areas on the Shore - trails, trail junctions, features, maps, etc. Very cool.

Enjoy the pics then come ride it!
great site! so many amazing pics!

I can only hope to ride there someday, it is definitely on my list of things to do

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.