Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the MTBR forums, not quite sure why I never signed up but I have been ridin for a while now and live in North Scottsdale. I ride a white BigHit with a 66 and gold rims, mainly ride at "the playground" but I love to go to papago, ikea pit, south mountain, sedona, sunrise, bootleg canyon, wherever and whenever I can get my adrenalyne fix. Anyways, who else rides around here and is on the forum? Where does everyone ride?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live near Thompson Peak/Frank Lloyd Wright and ride usually in the McDowells in the mornings and time and weather permitting ride elsewhere on weekends. Always looking for someone else to ride with. We should meet up for a ride

·
I am Walt
6,279 Posts
I'm near 130th St. and Shea and ride back in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve often, always rolling in from the Ringtail 128th St. trailhead. My "Workout Loop" heads up to the Taliesin Overlook, loops McDowell Mtn. Ranch via down Quartz and up Taliesin, then back up to the Overlook, then back to 128th St.

There are lots of variations and add-ons, including going up Sunrise, or heading over to Windgate and Bell via Paradise. You can literally ride for hours...

Let me know if you're ever interested in riding.

I also ride all over, based on what I feel like and where others might be riding.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
pHUCKiN PHiL???

Is your last name "McCracken"?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, that is not my last name haha. I have ridden the McDowell trails a couple times, my friends used to race them. I don't normally ride trails, unless they are mostly downhill, im more of a freerider/dirt jumper/urban/north shore/ whatever haha.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What's up Phil? I was the one on the Intense Socom the other day. I live down in Tucson. There is some good riding down here too. Mostly DH, no real FR. I am glad there was some other riders at the Playground otherwise I may not have nutted up to the Drop and last big double. Anyway if you get down here we should go for a ride. By the way how was the Mayo??? DJ's? I wanna check those out too. I got a taste of air again and need more.

·
livin' the dream......
1,918 Posts
I'm in the same boat as pHUCKIN.....................been living in NS for 5 years and have been riding McDOwell, P/D, SoMo, etc since I moved here. I too just got on these boards last month and am looking to connect with people to ride.

I have not ridden Ringtail et. al yet so I would be game to check that out at some point. Is the playground that area with huge hits you can see from the 101 before you get off of Hayden?

·
Registered
329 Posts
yo phil, its palmer. i dont post much on here but i look on here every now and then. hey ruckus, i haven't been to the mayo jumps in a while but they are a lot of fun. they are very large, techy jumps but they are fun once you get the hang of them.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Hey guys where is this mayo jumps at??? I work at both mayo sites and never saw any jumps. would like to check them out since I work practially there. thanks in advance

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey whatsup man, I knew I'd find you on here eventually haha, ya that drop is way fun, I was kind of regreting not hitting it, I mean i've hit it like four or five times, but everytime I go up to the edge I get creeped out haha. Ya man you busted big that day, only one other kid (justin) has hit the fourth double in the line you hit (nelsons line). Mayo was really fun, although I had to take the 22's on some terrain I wasn't exacticly prepared for, we got past the first set of boulders just fine, but there was more waiting, so we had to shimmy through the desert to get to em', had fun though and hit a couple new jumps I hadn't, man those jumps are hard to hold speed on a fully...

Whatup palmer, where ya been man? Out riding some cooler areas? you guys should come to the playground again soon, tommy and I are actually going tomorrow (thursday) and went in the morning today, it's not to bad in the morning, at like 8. Anyways we got a new jump line built up in the flat area when you first pull in, it takes some crankin but its fun.

Yeah, the playground is off of Pima, first left, and you can see it from the freeway. It's a fun place to ride with hits for everyone, just don't bring any dirtbikes or build in the way of any lines and it's a great place to ride, if anyone want's to go, like I said I'll be out there tomorrow at about 8 in the am til about 1 or 2, hope to see some new faces, and some old...

·
Registered
330 Posts
do you guys get into the playground by taking union hills to the powerlines (west of the water treatment plant) or old pima rd (now barricaded off). i've seen a few hucksters with their pickup trucks and bikes down in the pit when flying by on the 101, but can't seem to find the route.
also, would quads be a bad idea there?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quads are a terrible idea, sorry but no motor vehicles other than cars, cops have come out because dirtbikes were out there and threatened to shut it down, they said its fine to ride bikes out there but no dirtbikes or quads, plus there is nothing you could hit on quads out there, just hit up some tracks like et motopark, speedworld, thrasherland, acp, there are plenty, anyways just had to make that clear, you take the new pima and take ur first left which is union hills, then you cross old pima and go through that road and make a left before the factory things, this is when you get onto dirt, then curve right and follow that dirt road and your there, its a way fun place to ride and everyones real friendly, now that old mans gone haha. but ya like I said if you dont bring dirtbikes or quads and don't build anything in the way of any other lines your good, post up if your gonna go out there and I will try and meet you with some pals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cleaning UP @ the Playground

I live @ the Dakotas off Thompson peak/ McDowell Mnt. Ranch....and was out on my GT BMX bike when I found "the Playground" off Union Hills. I came back later that day 7/31/07
with some tools and a few trash bags.Im trying to clean this place up a bit-as well as clean up some of the broken Glass everywhere! with-in 30 min. of my efforts a Scotts. Police Officer pulled back there and talked to me- "He was surprised I was cleaning Up" No problems...as long as nobody's back here Drinking. He Noticed all the beer bottles and Trash too!

8/1/07...A quick trip to Home Depot for a new Spade Shovel/ Stone Rake and contractor Bags. I alone cleaned up all the plastic bottles/ Glass peices and other Crap.I removed 3 full bags of trash. and started a new Pile @ the top. Now Im Digging! and Fixing some of the Loose ladder bridges....alot of Nails Half way out. Taken care of now! Im gonna be building some new stuff here. My name is chris and you may see my Black Dodge Neon back there often....This Palce is cool- and with a little help could be SICK Spot for Huckers. Dont be scared-Come help me rebuild some jumps....Anybody Please!

p.s. all the Monsoon rains make for easy packing of dirt....nows the time to build-so it will harden up after the water....and NO MORE GLASS KIDS!

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
pHUCKiN PHiL said:
dont bring dirtbikes or quads and don't build anything in the way of any other lines your good, post up if your gonna go out there and I will try and meet you with some pals.
thanks for the tips PHiL. we'll keep the quads out of the pits. I'm not a huckster so had to go check it out solo before embarrassing myself in front of you folks. Anyway, I went and rode everything that I could (with a hardtail 29er :sleep: :sleep: ) last week and basically "chickened-out" on most of the built ramps -- got to the edge and backed down. Did hit the one that goes right into a tree, but it has a cracked base, and flew through the tree instead of over it. Took that sweet alternating bermed curve and dirt jump path from top to bottom and number of times, but the 29er rear wheel was so sluggish on those tight turns that it couldn't whip around quickly and therefore couldn't stay on the good lines. Don't worry, I didn't lock the brake and ruin the tight turns or berms, just flowed it through with the big hoops. Admittedly, I did hit front chainguard a couple times (minimal scalpage only) on the crests of the peaky dirt jumps. You guys must have some monstrous BB clearance or are just plain airing over those crests because I'm only running a 32t ring with same-sized guard.

....anyway, nice selection of jumps. way more choices than Papago. SS 29er hardtails need to stay on DC or P&D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Directions to the Playground

Mutt> Its behind the trash holding Facility accross from Westin Corp. When you see the Dark Gravel/Dirt off to the left on Union hills--just before the Buildings. head (towards the 101) and you cant miss it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Kudos to you CC for the efforts, I saw you there this afternoon on my way home. I also walked the area this morning when I was on my way to my job and was impressed with the jumps and structures.
This was a "borrow" pit for Adot during the free way construction and I've ridden and watched this area grow over the last year and half. Keep up the good work and I'll lend a hand cleaning up, etc. when I'm out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, thank you so much CC, as I rider who has been going out there for about a year now, and built almost all the ladder bridges and some dirt jumps, I want to say thank you for cleaning it up! I never really thought it was too bad, but there definately was trash in scattered spots which would add up to a lot, haven't been able to make it out there recently, been vacationing and such, but I will probably this weekend. Once again, thanks man!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts