Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be traveling to Orlando for work and then have 8 days to myself to explore and play and am currently debating a road bike vs. a mountain bike to rent.. it all depends on the trails I find and am really hoping to find some good mountain options.

I checked out the SORBA site and the trail lengths presented don't seem like they would be worth the drive to get to and so am asking for suggestions for specific places to check out that would be worth the drive and provide more than an hour or two of riding.

I am an experienced XC rider (but not a racer) that likes singletrack with a bit of technicality. I am not a freerider or a downhill bomber though. I just like long rides with a good variety of features and scenry. I have a trail system right next to my house now that allows me to put in a quick 10-20 miles after work, even now in the winter on a snow bike. So I would like to find someplace, if possible that can offer at least 20 miles of good riding and would be worth the drive from Orlando to hit up; noting that 3hrs is quite within my tolerance.. 4-5 is pushing it..but over the course of a week may find myself in the area so still want to know.

That also said.. do people have any suggestions to rent a mountain (full suspension preferably) or cross bike for about a week in the Tampa/Orlando area.

Thanks,
Christopher

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
Lot's of good options within an hour or two of Orlando. Any of the trails I list should fit your bill (20+ miles trail and nice mix of tech) and more info on them can be found in the trail review section of this site:

North of Orlando:
Santos (about 80 min drive)
San Felasco (about 2 hour drive)

West of Orlando:
Croom (about 80 min drive)

South(west) of Orlando:
Alafia (about 80 min drive)
Balm Boyette (about 90 min drive)

Before anyone posts "Wait, you forgot about X,Y,Z trail..." I included only trails with over 20 miles of single track... There are plenty of other good ones.

Kyles Bike Shop in Orlando rents bikes and just got a shipment of new Kona bikes so they have some decent offerings. I'd definitely call ahead to reserve one...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dear Christopher you forgot to mention you were from Alaska !

The excellent suggestions given so far would have included a word of caution: "This ain't Alaska!"
For distance we do the interesting part of each trails 3 or 4 times.
For challenge or enjoyment we ride them faster,
For the view we stop and close our eyes...

Don't get me wrong most of the advance trails are condense in their features & will get your HR up.
I am from South Florida & gladly drive the 4 to 6 hrs to get to the mention trails !
Wont tell you how it's down here.. ;-( except that we ride 365 days per year :)

Welcome South & enjoy your time in the Sunshine State

·
ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, bikes?

Thanks all for the tips. My question now is if I am going to be traveling around and maybe not get a bike to haul with me the entire trip.. can I get bike rentals early in the day at each of these locations so I don't completely melt away in the mid-day sun?

Christopher

·
More than one, of course!
202 Posts
crsouser said:
Thanks all for the tips. My question now is if I am going to be traveling around and maybe not get a bike to haul with me the entire trip.. can I get bike rentals early in the day at each of these locations so I don't completely melt away in the mid-day sun?

Christopher
Christopher,
I will be in Orlando on business too, can only ride on Wed (4/6) and will have a car. Wanted rent a bike and hit up Santos with some folks but no one seems to be able to ride on Wed. Are you around then?
FR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.