Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
KulAdventures
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving from Chicago (June/July 2019) with 3 others loaded up in a van with mountain bikes and headed to the Northeast with Halifax as the turn around point. I have DH bikes and all mountain bikes and would love to hit some of the awesome mountain biking in that area. What would you guys recommend we stop and hit on our trip?

Last summer we did Whistler and the Pacific Northwest which was awesome, this summer I would love to explore the mountain biking in the Northeast. Would like to get at least one DH lift assisted area if possible.

Here is a tentative map of the trip:
Blue Yellow Atmosphere Text White

Thank you in advanced!

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
If you are going into Quebec you will regret not going up north to Vallee Bras du nord ect. (sp) 'Bout a trillion places you could hit across Vt, NH, but I would turn north for Me and hit the Carabassette (sp) Valley. Also, you will find amazing suburban single track between Gloucester Ma, and Boston. Not just Bruce and Toms. Hilariously good considering you are in people's back yard the entire ride. Also, after you hit Killington, head south and hit some Ct, northern NJ, and Eastern Pa for a completely different flavor.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Personally I think it would be worth your time, when going through NY to go a little further south towards Windham, NY area. Depending on whether you want to ride DH, trail or both. Windham mtn has a pretty new DH park, down the road a few miles from Windham mtn are what I think are some of the best trails in the northeast - Elm Ridge. Elm Ridge is on trailforks so it'll give you an idea of what's there, I'm not sure if the two newest trails are on there or not. Round top trails are pretty close to Elm ridge too and also on Trailforks, those trails tie in with a lot of German pubs in the area and there's a lot to ride there too. If you're looking for more then one DH park, near Windham there is also a lesser know park but has some of the gnarliest DH riding in the northeast called "plattekill" in Roxbury NY. Locals call it "splat a kill".

You could easily stay in Windham or around there and hit a couple DH parks and some of the best singletrack in the NE depending on your time. It looks like your trip is taking you to whiteface mtn area? If you're just going to DH that's a good place to go, I don't know if Windham is or isn't as good as that area as a DH park but if you're going to ride trails too, that area isn't going to give you what the Windham area will. Lots of small sections of trails, really need to know people to link a decent size ride together.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're bringing heavy bikes along three key areas to hit are:

Highland Mountain bike park. For the vibe & history alone, but the terrain is great as well.
Burke Upper Mountain. Pedal or shuttle, DH trail and Upper + Lower J-Bar are not to be missed.
Conway NH, Cranmore side. Kandagnar / Sendero / Charlie Don't Surf / PLS. Can be shuttled, but more fun just to ride laps.

It's a diversion south from your planned loop, but Thunder Mountain in western Mass is a great non-corporate bike park also.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
What's your stop for S. NH? Bear Brook? Hitting NembaFest the last weekend in June? So much so good in the Northeastern MA, Southern NH area. Bear brook, Harold Parker SF, Lynn Woods, Russell Mill over to Gilson Hill all good stuff. Hit up some of the Nemba area FB pages for some details.

·
KulAdventures
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Thank you guys so much for the response. Lot's of places to look into. Honestly I was thinking Killington for lift assisted biking, but I may leave it off the trip and do Highland bike park and Sainte Anne for lift assisted and then look into a lot of the other places you guys mentioned. I will probably only do 1-2 lift assisted places, are those two the best? Would you guys leave Killington off the trip?

I like the idea of that NEMBAfest, I will actually be in the area then and it seems fun, expensive though, but the kingdom trails in that area look awesome!

You guys gave me a lot to research so let me look into those trails and then Ill follow up again.

Although this is starting next week it is still in the planning phase so not sure what I am hitting yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Killington is much bigger with faster lifts than Highland. Newer, Gravity Logic, etc. Highland is only 800 vert, slow fixed grip triple, fewer flow trails, etc. By the numbers Killington wins, it’s currently “Whistler east”.

But if I was visiting to see what east coast riding is about, Highland would win on spirit, history & DIY vibe. It’s just a really special place with great riding and a place you would want to hang out at after the day is done.

·
Monkey
327 Posts
Why are you going so far east? Seems like a lot of driving for those destinations.

If you go into Quebec and like technical riding you should hit Sentiers des Moulins and Vallée Bras du Nord. Look them up on Trailfork. Also, for lift served with tons of Enduro options, Bromont can't be beat. Some of the best trails back of the mountain. Also, Circuit Frontières in East Hereford, two new trails near the 800m summit. Oh, and one of my personal favorite south of the border, 2-3 days of solid riding in North Conway.

·
2,675 Posts
Killington is much bigger with faster lifts than Highland. Newer, Gravity Logic, etc. Highland is only 800 vert, slow fixed grip triple, fewer flow trails, etc. By the numbers Killington wins, it's currently "Whistler east".

But if I was visiting to see what east coast riding is about, Highland would win on spirit, history & DIY vibe. It's just a really special place with great riding and a place you would want to hang out at after the day is done.
Killington is superior to Highland. Better riding, so much more vert, faster lifts and no lift lines.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would say Killington is better for beginner/intermediate, whereas highland has some really cool, unique terrain for experts. Not that killington doesn't have good expert terrain, it does. But highland might have a slight edge there. Highland doesn't have nearly as much green and blue terrain as Killington though.

And there are definitely lift lines at killington on a busy Saturday. During the week, not so much. But you do have 3 high speed lifts as opposed to 1 at Highland, so that's a factor.

Prior replies are correct about the vibe and character. Killington is more big mountain with lots of other stuff going on. Highland is about bikes and only bikes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you decide to swing up into QC for Vallee Bras du Nord and Rentiers du Moulin, you could go through Campbeltown NB on your way to Nova Scotia. There you will find a very nice (but small) bike park at Sugarloaf.

·
KulAdventures
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why are you going so far east? Seems like a lot of driving for those destinations.

If you go into Quebec and like technical riding you should hit Sentiers des Moulins and Vallée Bras du Nord. Look them up on Trailfork. Also, for lift served with tons of Enduro options, Bromont can't be beat. Some of the best trails back of the mountain. Also, Circuit Frontières in East Hereford, two new trails near the 800m summit. Oh, and one of my personal favorite south of the border, 2-3 days of solid riding in North Conway.
The trip isnt just for mountain biking. There are 4 of us going and although everyone will be mountain biking the destination is more for sightseeing and traveling then mountain biking. I am just trying to throw as much mountain biking into the trip as I can.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.