Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ride More
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be arriving in Bryson City on Sunday for one week of biking. I have been watching the weather and it looks like it may be a little wet. Are there any areas that I should avoid if the rain is bad? Does anybody know what trails hold up well in the rain? We are planning on riding both sides of Tsali, Laurel Mountain, Fonatana, Bent Creek, and few other trails. Any info would be helpful.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As for the Pisgah area...it had been a slop-fest for weeks, but last weekend the trails were pretty nice. There haven't been any monsoons, although there has been some rain this week, so I think you may have dodged the bullet. I think Laurel would be a better choice for dryness than Bent Creek.

No idea if Tsali has dried out too...but here's a word of caution. Last time I was there, it appeared that well-meaning(?) trail-maintenance people had dug the mud out of the mud puddles. Thus, the puddles were much deeper than they should have been. So if the puddle is actually holding water, you won't be able to see the bottom, and you'll get an ugly surprise. Wheelie your front tire over the puddles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I rode Bent Creek last night and it was dry. I don’t think it has rained here all week, first time this summer! Tsali can be bad if it’s wet but it seems not to get as much rain as here in Asheville. DuPont is always a safe bet if wet, it seems to have more of a sandy soil.

Have fun and if you’re in bent creek stay on the signed trails.

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Rode most of dupont last weekend

Most of the trails were in great condition except for the ones frequented by horses, i think they were the polar opposite, just huge mud bogs steeped in expletives when I left. The area by burnt mtn, little river, corn mills shoals, etc... were all in great condition, really couldn't have been better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts