Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My obsessive nature is getting to me...I recently rebuilt my Float RP23 rear shock.

It was making a squeaking noise, squeaking stopped now but now makes wat I can describe as a "soft-grindy-sandy" sound as the shock compresses, expands. I want to say that this is the normal sound of the air and the internal bits compressing/moving.

Wanted to know if this sound is "normal" or should the shock be completely quite when it compresses. Having done the rebuilt I wonder now if I didn't clean well enough inside.
What does your RP23 sounds like when compressed (body weigh pressing down on bike, ear to shock). I will eventually find better things to worry about. Thanks :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
As it is initially pressed it shouldn't make a sound at all, however it is quite normal for the shock to make a slight noise as it compresses, certainly not a grinding noise! More of a really quick wwww-h-ffffttttt noise (or something like that :p). Under decompression it can make a slight noise again but it should never sound like grindinig

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a known issue that RP23 squeaks a bit in ProPedal-mode. Nothing to worry about and the bike performs better with PP off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did it make the grindy noise before you rebuilt it? My DT Swiss started making a grindy noise after about 7 months. I rebuilt it with no change, got lot's of opinions about what was/was not normal, and finally sent it in to DT Swiss in Utah. They fixed it under warranty and it came back the smooth and silent type. The email exchange went like this:

DT: Your shock had pressurized oil. This was fixed of course.

Me: So how did the oil come to be pressurized. Does air from inside the
'can' make it past that inner shaft seal?

DT:I am not sure. It is either what you said or the nitrogen charge in the
lower end is getting past the floating piston. Our engineering is
working on this phenomenon. It happens to other shocks as well.

The shock has been flawless since, and quieter than even when new. Give Fox a call....

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
burkut said:
Did it make the grindy noise before you rebuilt it? My DT Swiss started making a grindy noise after about 7 months. I rebuilt it with no change, got lot's of opinions about what was/was not normal, and finally sent it in to DT Swiss in Utah. They fixed it under warranty and it came back the smooth and silent type. The email exchange went like this:

DT: Your shock had pressurized oil. This was fixed of course.

Me: So how did the oil come to be pressurized. Does air from inside the
'can' make it past that inner shaft seal?

DT:I am not sure. It is either what you said or the nitrogen charge in the
lower end is getting past the floating piston. Our engineering is
working on this phenomenon. It happens to other shocks as well.

The shock has been flawless since, and quieter than even when new. Give Fox a call....
You mean DT Swiss in Grand Junction Colorado?

The DT Swiss rear shocks are notorious in getting air in the oil, which makes a loud squishing noise, but they fix it quickly. Mine has been flawless for a year now, since mine was fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts