Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted up this brand new Specialized Slaughter rear tire - filled with a good amount of Stans (and shook the bottle to get all the rubber bits into the mix).

Rolled the wheel around in every direction - then went riding as I have found that usually a ride is the best way to get a tubeless tire to seal up.

It barely holds air pressure - pressure drops low in an hour or two and it pops off the bead overnight.

Put soap on the tire to check for leaks - hundreds of pinhole leaks - all the white spots in the photo.

I have used tubeless for a few years, and not sure if I am stupid or just buying junk tires, but seem to always have problems with leaking tires with pinholes. Thought i'd have better luck running what should be a quality tire.

Is this normal or should I send this tire back to specialized for warranty?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It should not pop off the bead.
It should not leak out of air in an hour.

With that said, the Control casing does weep quite a bit. If the sealant doesn't mostly fix the sidewall I'd say there is a problem, but having a tire 'POP' off the bead isn't right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should not pop off the bead.
It should not leak out of air in an hour.

With that said, the Control casing does weep quite a bit. If the sealant doesn't mostly fix the sidewall I'd say there is a problem, but having a tire 'POP' off the bead isn't right.
Well, it pops off the bead because I am using a non-tubeless rim. But of course that only happens because the tire goes flat.

No leakage at the bead or at the valve stem so it isn't the rim causing this.

So, round #2, I pulled the tire off. Still had plenty of stans in it. Mixed in some slime and cinnamon, we'll see if that fixes it. It isn't working now so how much worse can I make it?

TBH I'm kind of pissed with tubeless. I have had nothing but bad experiences so far. I can burp rear tires even with 40psi in them. And everyone I know says it just works. But it doesn't "just work" for me. Totally frustrating.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Is it the Slaughter Control 2Bliss ready?
The leakage is unacceptable whether it's normal for a Specialized 2Bliss tire or not. Get your money back if possible.
If you're having that much trouble with tubeless, give up and use tubes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it the Slaughter Control 2Bliss ready?
The leakage is unacceptable whether it's normal for a Specialized 2Bliss tire or not. Get your money back if possible.
If you're having that much trouble with tubeless, give up and use tubes.
Yes, it is a 2bliss tire.

I'd give up, but I have one WTB Bee Line mounted tubeless that goes months on end without needing air, so that gives me some hope.

I have two more specialized tires with Grid casing on order for a new bike I am building with tubeless specific rims, I wonder if they will leak this bad.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,800 Posts
Wow. I've seen some with porous sidewalls, but never that bad. I have had a tire or two slide off the bead when not filled with air, but it's rare. I have mostly maxxis tires, all is right with the world.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
When I had Control casing on my Butcher, I'd see little bubbles all around the sidewall, especially after a bath. But not nearly as much as the bubbles you see from the soapy solution. I switched to Grid per the shop recommendation (didn't know much about tires/still don't really) when tire needed replaced. First I noticed the tire was nice and firm, I lowered air pressure actually. And it didn't seep.
Small (or not so small) price to pay for weight savings.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
SpecialED casings suck compared to Maxxis, for the same weight you get that crap you're experiencing vs EXO that's tougher and doesn't leak like that.

So, you're doing tubeless with non tubeless rims and wondering WTF you're having trouble :???: That is so very strange :rolleyes: Everyone else loves tubeless because they run tubeless compatible products, so don't have issues ;)

Well, it pops off the bead because I am using a non-tubeless rim. But of course that only happens because the tire goes flat.
No leakage at the bead or at the valve stem so it isn't the rim causing this.

TBH I'm kind of pissed with tubeless. I have had nothing but bad experiences so far. I can burp rear tires even with 40psi in them. And everyone I know says it just works. But it doesn't "just work" for me. Totally frustrating.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SpecialED casings suck compared to Maxxis, for the same weight you get that crap you're experiencing vs EXO that's tougher and doesn't leak like that.

So, you're doing tubeless with non tubeless rims and wondering WTF you're having trouble :???: That is so very strange :rolleyes: Everyone else loves tubeless because they run tubeless compatible products, so don't have issues ;)
We need to fire up the time machine and go into the not-so-distant past.

Back in 2014 when I started with Tubeless, Tubeless Ready rims weren't very common - they probably did exist, but most bikes did not come with them...they were just barely becoming common. UST rims seemed to be the only tubeless option, which were mostly shunned. Plenty of people had been running ghetto tubeless on ordinary rims for many years.

I actually totally agree what you are saying, but it's a case of the MTBR goal posts moving. FWIW the new rims I am building are "tubeless ready"

I don't seem to have many rim leaks, more like problems with sealing drying out, porous sidewalls, leaking valve stems, tires that go flat mysteriously, etc...obviously any time the tire comes completely off the bead that is likely due to the rim not having the locking channel, but it only happens because I always seem to be losing air somewhere.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'd say try for a warranty, OP. I ordered a WTB tire from Amazon some time ago, and it did the same thing. When I sent pics to WTB, they figured there was an issue with the molding process; not enough rubber. It's not uncommon for sidewalls to weep a little, but that's way above and beyond, IMO.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I wonder how old that tire is. Spec Control tires were really bad for sidewall weeping but a few years ago they got much better. They introduced the Grid too, which was way better. But yeah, that's unacceptable IMO. Take it back to the LBS and they should straighten you out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder how old that tire is. Spec Control tires were really bad for sidewall weeping but a few years ago they got much better. They introduced the Grid too, which was way better. But yeah, that's unacceptable IMO. Take it back to the LBS and they should straighten you out.
Specialized is clearing these out for $20 so you might be onto something as far as the tire being old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.