Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currenlty lookin at this bike to start me off riding. I hear the frame is very good. I would like to get your inputs from this bored. I am really thinking about buying this bike b/c i do like the price, and the bike. And of course, its a Norco, which i do like. Only thing is it only has a front disc brake, im thinking... do i really need the rear one? Should i have him put one on and pay the difference? Please tell me what you guys thing for a beginner like me that does not know what he is doing out in the trails. Please do not suggest the bigfoot, i do like it, way too much money, and i wont be able to use the bike to its full potential. As for this Wolverine i will be able to use it to its whole potential because as i get better, i will replace certain parts to make the bike better, such as a new beefyer fork with more travel and so forth. So let me know if this Norco is a good bike overall. Im not to picky on components, b/c the better you get the more you pay, which i dont really want to pay so much for components, that for the first season i wont know the difference between. And by the time i get better or need parts replaced i will have the funds to do it.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I'm not sure

if the rear is a disc ready hub, I think not? That means you can't just stick on a rotor/caliper and voilà, away you go. Ask the LBS to clarify... If it's disc ready, a rear rotor/caliper would be a low cost no brainer. You can use the existing brake lever.

It'll be fine with a front disc only, it's done all the time.

Jim

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you JimC... So i wouldnt be doing many endos then i hope right? With a better brake in the front. Because i dont want to flip over the bars at like 30km down a 45 degree hill lol.

Now what do you think about this bike generally. Everyone. I think i like it, and it seems like a good bike, other than components. For the time being, i think it seems good. No point in buying the best, when i wont be able to ride the best. Buying useless stuff that i will not need. Would it fit me for a while, then i would need to upgrade components of course when i need that bigger fork and such. But generally is it a good bike for a beginner first year riding, in confusion on techniques of even riding.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
GinoLicious said:
Thank you JimC... So i wouldnt be doing many endos then i hope right? With a better brake in the front. Because i dont want to flip over the bars at like 30km down a 45 degree hill lol.

Now what do you think about this bike generally. Everyone. I think i like it, and it seems like a good bike, other than components. For the time being, i think it seems good. No point in buying the best, when i wont be able to ride the best. Buying useless stuff that i will not need. Would it fit me for a while, then i would need to upgrade components of course when i need that bigger fork and such. But generally is it a good bike for a beginner first year riding, in confusion on techniques of even riding.
70% of your stopping power is supposed to come from the front end anyways. A lot of people run disc in the front only. Trials bikes usually use disc up front and Magura hydro rim brakes in the rear. The beauty of discs is modulation. Not grabby like rim-brakes. So no need to endo unless you really grab it hard. You can always upgrade to disc in the rear later if you really want.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
xls-will is right and

it's a decent ride. A good starter, but.....

I cannot make your buying decision for you, that's your job.

Good luck, make sure it fits you right, get the shop to help make it perfect, Jim

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shes seems like the one.

Well after this very long hunt, i think she is going to be the one i purchase. Yes of course im goin to test out the bike at the shop before it. If it rides good i most likely will purchase it. I just wanted to get some comments on the overall bike, such as how the frame was, like you say JimC good entry level bike, and as the other guy says, its nnot 2 bad, front disc. I think my hunt is over, thank you all for your help. Now hopefully i learn how to use disc brakes, lol.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Norco makes sweet frames. So pretty... and so burley... Haha. As long as it fits you well and you like it, it's all that really matters. Norco makes excellent products, and I doubt that you'll have any problems with the frame.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thankyou... Yeah i do like her, im glad i didnt settle for the GT. Now i juse need to get my car fixed, or a new car since the transmission is gone, and go pick up my bike, well first test drive the bike, then have it ordered. Probably a white for me. I think white is a sick colour. Ne one think white is an amaizng looking bike colour?

·
Registered
653 Posts
GinoLicious said:
Well thankyou... Yeah i do like her, im glad i didnt settle for the GT. Now i juse need to get my car fixed, or a new car since the transmission is gone, and go pick up my bike, well first test drive the bike, then have it ordered. Probably a white for me. I think white is a sick colour. Ne one think white is an amaizng looking bike colour?
I am thinking about getting this bike too so please report back when you first ride it :D

also I think the white is a sick color too, way better than that dark blueish nastiness :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You copyin me now man? Well the people on this board dont say it is too bad for entry level. Personally i think it isnt bad and meets my needs. I will let you know how she rides when i test drive it. The once i get it, which will be in a week after test drive or so, or shorter, hopefully, i will take it on the trail asap, and give you a report about that. SO you will have 2 to go by.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.