Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up fellow mtbr,s I wanted to share my build that I have going. I am currently having 2014 sight LE build over at Billy Goat Bikes. I went out on a leap of faith buying this bike. I have never ridden a sight before let alone a 650b bike. I am currently on a NomadC, I love this bike to death it has been nothing but a delight to ride problem free for years and many miles, but most recently I have been on a search for a more trail oriented bike. My bike collection has grown with downhill bikes and such that I'm not always just grabbing the nomad and off to where ever I am going to ride. So after a lot of reading, a lot researching this one bike kept coming up over and over, it was the Norco Sight. This seem to be the bike that I was in search of. So I contacted Matt from Billy Goat put a deposited down on a 7.1 after a month of waiting I got an email telling me to give him a call, I new bad news was to follow. he told me the 7.1 would be delayed up to another 2 months but he had a solution lets build the large LE frame he had in stock.

Bike setup:
* Frame Size & Color: Large LE Red
* Rear Shock: Fox CTD B/V
* Fork: Rock Shox Pike RCT 3 solo air 150mm
* Brakes: Shimano XT-203 front, 180 rear
* Shifter: SRAM X01
* Cranks: Race Face Next SL direct drive 32T
* Chainguide: none for now
* Rear Derailleur: SRAM X01
* Pedals: Crampons??
* Stem: Race Face Atlas 50mm (35mm clamp)
* Handlebar: 35mm Sixc 800MM
* Seatpost: Stealth Reverb
* Seat clamp: Norco
* Saddle: Specialized Phenom Pro
* Cassette: SRAM X01
* Headset: Cane Creek 40
* Grips: ODI rogue
* Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans dampf 2.35 pace star
* Front Rim: Industry Nine enduro
* Front Hub: Industry Nine Torch
* Rear Tire: Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35 Super gravity
* Rear Rim: Industry Nine enduro
* Rear Hub: Industry Nine Torch

Here is a teaser picture Matt sent me. More pictures to fallow along with a review of the bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's a disgustingly nice build. Just got my sight 7.2c, planning on building it up over the next few years. Let me know what you think of the wheel set after a few rides that's going to be my first upgrade, just not sure what to get yet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Don't know if he still has it, but Matt had an extra factory rp23 he took off a Troy carbon in favor of a CCDBA for one of his demos. Might be an upgrade he might be willing to deal on. Agreed on the disgustingness of the build.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
holy shitey shite! saweet build! out o my budget range on my 7.2c build in progress this week - ill try not to turn green or LE red w envy - seriously - you got the goods and she should be amazing!!!

pics once built and ride report in follow up!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm going to be very interested to see what this turns out like and the final weight.
My Sight 7.1 has Carbon Sixx C bars, carbon X01 cranks and XT brakes, so very similar with the exception of the Pike.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I am glad the 7.1's were delayed I ended up with a much nicer bike. Lit sounds like the parts from race face will be on there way to the shop to tomorrow. So updates to follow soon.

All you guys with your sights tells us how you feel about them. The good the bad the ugly.

I was watching the video for SRAM's latest brakes the guide they shot the action footage on a Sight which always make me think this must be a bad ass bike it shows up all everywhere.

Video:
http://youtu.be/ddGfPO7bGxU

·
Registered
55 Posts
IMG_0402.jpg Just had my first snowy, muddy, wet ride on my 7.2. This bike blew me away, super nimble and climbed well with the shock wide open. I will have to wait until summer to tell you how it climbs on rocky, rooted uphills; the snowy icy, ones I took today impressed me. The rear end stayed glued to the ground even over the shovel rows on the hill and I didn't lose grip until I hit the glare ice at the top.

I wasn't sure how I would like the 27.5" wheels after really liking my 29er hardtail. I almost bought a stumpy 29er carbon last fall on clear out but glad I waited, this bike is way more nimble and picks up speed way faster. While it doesn't have the monster truck feel of the stumpy I had no problem going up and over windrows and it felt stable at speed. All in all I love this bike!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I love my bike. It's a trail slayer, even if I am not.

As mentioned, the bike climbs well. The rear end is very active in the best possible way. It just grips and grips over techy climbs.

The bike begs to pop off lips and roots.

I can't speak to DH as my trails lack real DH action. So far, the Fox 32K fork is butter for my needs.

My only comment that isn't super positive is this: The front end doesn't lift up as easily as I had thought it should given the very short chainstays. Anyone else feel this way?

Overall, I am in total lust with my Sight.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad to hear such great feed back about these bikes!

My build is much less then the stock build LE from norco I'll say that much! I can thank Matt for that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the day came I finally took delivery of my Norco sight! After a few weeks of waiting on the last parts from Race Face. It was an exciting day to finally get the bike. It's that's bike you see and hear about all the time but no one really has one. Norco's dealer infrastructure is weak, most don't have actual carbon bikes in stock. So not even seeing or riding a bike I took a plunge and pulled the trigger!

My pervious experience have been on primarily VPP bikes the sight will replace my Nomad. I really like my nomad it has taken me many many places without issue. Things looking to improve from my nomad

- Better climbing efficiency
- larger cockpit nomad seemed quite cramped even with size larger frame, 800mm bars 60mm stem and seat pushed back
- less travel something a little more trail. I have a downhill bike I didn't need one bike to fulfill all my riding needs which the nomad really did and it did it well!
- larger wheels. I had to try this whole 650b thing a try

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1397400839.043811.jpg

Initial thoughts
Wow this bike is beautiful the pictures just don't do it justice. It has nice slick lines with a clean raw carbon and red paint scheme. This thing is LIGHT!!! Most of the parts I picked are light weight but strong. I didn't want to have a full on weenie bike that I destroy in a matter of weeks. I did notice the front of the bike with a 150 pike is crazy light. Riding the bike out on the street I got a feel for how the suspension worked and the stiffness of the bike was it felt just right. The fit was right on with size large with 50mm stem and 800mm bars I am 6' tall. The nomad almost felt like it was a complete size smaller then what stated by Santa Cruz but then again the nomad geo is dated hints the redesign just released.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1397402336.621167.jpg

On the trail

After setting the sag and basic settings on the suspension, and getting the seat post to where I wanted it. Itching like a kid on Christmas morning I loaded the bike up on the car and headed to my local spot that I ride all the time. First thing first this this climbings great!!! I was so worried I kept hearing keywords like really "active suspension" or " had to put the bike in the middle trail mode" i was able to climb everything in the open mode without a problem. I would put the bike into trail mode to climb a fire road to increase efficiency save energy. When the bike is in trail mode it is like riding a cross county bike! So for those of you worried about the bike climbing well it does! This bike climbed 10 fold better then the nomad! So far so good!

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1397402441.346377.jpg

Coming off a Nomad with CCDBA CS it's going to be hard to beat descending such a iconic bike. After a few rides of tuning the rear shock I got it pretty close to where I thought it performed up to my standards. I was really really impressed by this bike it was smooth and controlled through rough rocky sections I never felt and harsh bottoming out. I would say it went down just as well as the nomad. What was mind blowing was the way the bike would pick up speed! This thing is a rocket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1397403608.210465.jpg

When it came to cornering I loved the Nomad I thought it was just a playful nimble bike even for its travel and weight. After riding the sight i realized the nomad wasn't really that stiff! The Norco is far far stiffer. I thought that there would be a learning g curve to riding this bike but there really wasn't. It felt just right! The grip is just what you expected tons of grip!! Just lean the bike over and rocket through whatever you throw at it.

I am in love with this bike!! It is everything you have heard about it and more!!! If you're looking for a bike that can hang with the best of them going up and down this is it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Thanks for the review darkstar. Do you think you are going to keep the 800 width on the bars? I tried that width on Sight, and it felt really too wide for me.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the review darkstar. Do you think you are going to keep the 800 width on the bars? I tried that width on Sight, and it felt really too wide for me.
I will keep the bars at 800 I have been riding 800 for a long time I am very comfortable on them I have a pretty good wing span so no issues with feeling to wide. They do take some getting use to.

·
Registered
607 Posts
OMG, so beautiful. What's the final weight of this beauty?
I just converted my Mojo SL to 650, loving these new wheel size already. Sure faster than 26in, but same nimbleness.

I told my friends my next bike will be 29er maybe in a couple of yrs, but this 650b is just so much fun. And carbon sight is so beautiful, I don't know if I can wait for a couple of yrs.😊😊

How do you like the schwalbe tires? Please review...
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts