Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Norco Optic frameset in December 2020 (the purple/silver colorway from a couple years ago) and have been sourcing parts ever since. Finally got the last part and got the bike built up, but I have significant side-to-side play in the main pivot just above the bottom bracket. I took it apart and verified that all the parts were there and it was torqued to the proper spec. I can move the main pivot back and forth by hand, I get a loud knock during our of saddle efforts and when I drop the rear of the bike with any sideways motion I also get a knock.

Is this a known issue? Seems like if I could source some shims it would take care of the problem, but wanted to know if there was already a solution out there before I come up with my own.

·
Registered
171 Posts
has the carbon tube that runs through the frame on the main pivot come away from the frame? It has happened a few times. When mine did it, if you lifted the bike the entire rear triangle would knock. I put my warranty claim in on the 13th of January this year..... i am still waiting for my replacement frame. (n)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think we have the same issue. Mine is basically that that the chainstay side of the interface is too wide for the tube on the bottom bracket side of the interface, so the chainstay can be slide back and forth maybe 5mm or so on the shaft (Item #7 in the picture).

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think we have the same issue. Mine is basically that that the chainstay side of the interface is too wide for the tube on the bottom bracket side of the interface, so the chainstay can be slide back and forth maybe 5mm or so on the shaft (Item #7 in the picture).
ah ok, well thats a better situation to be in. I assume you bought the frame used/second hand? I wonder if the previous owner serviced the bearings or similar before getting rid of it and they left something out?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update. Things aren’t looking too good in my opinion. The shop just got in some small parts recently for a warranty claim they placed back in February. Seven months for small parts. I’m starting my search for a replacement frame that I can transfer my parts to in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,980 Posts
Just a quick update. Things aren't looking too good in my opinion. The shop just got in some small parts recently for a warranty claim they placed back in February. Seven months for small parts. I'm starting my search for a replacement frame that I can transfer my parts to in the meantime.
So your aftermarket shims didn't work?

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
So your aftermarket shims didn't work?
I've only built 3 bikes, but I feel bad for anyone who put the time in picking out a frame, sourcing parts and then putting it together only to find out something was janky or un-rideable. @savechief I hope the LBS works with you in some way.

Meanwhile hopefully you can identify a new frame, actually put your hands on it and build something.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to post an update. After much back and forth and measurements taken and supplied by The Path to Norco, Norco ended up sending a new chainstay (in the matching purple...yay!) that solved the issue. New part received the week of October 4th, installed October 9th and bike picked up on October 15th. So the whole process took about 2 months. The only annoyance is that the new chainstay didn't have a protector on it so The Path is ordering one for me separately.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey, I have the same issue as this, did you fix it your self or send it off? I figure they will clean it up then epoxy it back in place again?
I had a new frame replaced under warranty. At the time it seemed the right thing to do. It took 8 months to get a replacement and was overall a pretty unpleasant experience. So in hindsight i would have just bonded it back in place. Assuming you can get enough bond in there and its set square to the frame.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.