Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into owning my own MTB. Narrowed search down to Norco Fluid HT 2 and Rocky Mountain Growler 40. Realize there are other, maybe better, options out there for a trail hardtail but these are both accessible at LBS, Canadian brands and on sale right now. Couple more boxes ticked unless there is some deal breaker about them I am missing.

Not up to speed on spec game but wondering if either of the two looks better on paper? And how they might fare with 29er wheels. They both seem spec'd well enough to not hold me back. Riding in Southern Ontario.

Advice welcome.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
There both great bikes but are designed around 27.5 probably won’t fit a 29er Tyre in the rear what I don’t like is QR rear hub which both frames are designed around if you don’t plan on upgrading components buy if not move up to the growler 50 has the boost spacing and better build

·
Registered
13 Posts
With the Shimano brakes and what appears to be a slightly better Suntour fork, I would lean toward the Rocky Mountain. But really, both seem good, so go ride them and buy the one that feels better. You can also upgrade certain things later. I think that a thru-axle is more important for the front than than rear, but as gunner said, if you can afford the scratch, the Growler 50 will be a better overall build. Personally, I would probably buy the 40 and then upgrade and play around with stuff after a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. Felt they were pretty close on paper but again, out of the loop so long I am not so sure about components. Ended up with Growler 40 with some minor cockpit tweaks. Looking now for a bike seat for my kid.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bought a RM G30 for a song last year; rental bike, end of season. Immediate upgrade fork and drivetrain, wheels soon followed. Essentially same Geo as Specialized and Santa Cruz bikes I was looking at, and now a little better spec for not much more $.

I love it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.