Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering, what bikes/setups do folks on the NorCal board ride ... and where?

It seems like this thread _must_ have gone around in the past, but I can't find anything. I'm just thinking the regional boards could use "setup guides" much like the manufacturer forums ... help folks get a feeling for how others dial their rides to the environs.

Anything like this already out there?

--MW

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Not a dedicated thread persay, but most of us are pretty stoked to ride and share our new arrivals. Just read through the board a ways. You can also check out user galleries under our avatars for pictures of us, and our bikes :thumbsup:

·
What would Pimpbot do?
364 Posts
My dream bikes for local spots

If I had a huge quiver of bikes, which I don't, here is what I would ride and where:

The real deal: Soquel Demo: 30-35 lb full suspension - the climbs are easy and the descents can get technical.

Also great: 1) Saratoga Gap-Long Ridge-Russian Ridge, 2) Wilder: single speed

If you must: Fire roads: Grant Ranch, Sierra Azul, Quicksilver, Jones, El Sereno: hardtail XC

I have never ridden stand-outs like China Camp, Tamarancho, Annadel, Rockville, Skeggs, and Fort Ord so I won't comment on what I don't know.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
7point frame... with many non-7point3 parts.

Nameless trails, Demo, Mt. Diablo, DMC/Carlmont...

Good times.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
FoggyGoggles said:
If I had a huge quiver of bikes, which I don't, here is what I would ride and where:

The real deal: Soquel Demo, Rockville, : 30-35 lb full suspension - the climbs are easy and the descents can get technical.

Tamarancho, Annadel, Skeggs 25-30 lb full suspension - the climbs and descents can get technical, but not too big.

Also great: 1) Saratoga Gap-Long Ridge-Russian Ridge, 2) Wilder, China Camp (front), and Fort Ord : single speed

If you must: Fire roads: Grant Ranch, Sierra Azul, Quicksilver, Jones, El Sereno: hardtail XC
fixed, but just my opinion.

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
I ride a 37 pound Santa Cruz Bullit at Annadel. I also have a 2001 GT Avalanche 2.0, which has none of the original parts except, ohh, the stem, frame, and seatpost :)

I prefer the Bullit for Annadel riding. It gets quite rocky there, and the suspension is saving my knees & back :)

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Well my 30_ lb 5" full squish, and it goes anywhere and everywhere. China Camp, Annadel, Tamarancho, Skeggs, etc.

Got a custom 29er in the works, and going shopping this weekend for a new ride.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
An Airborne SS with 32x18 gearing and a Talas fork for most trails, but when I want to hit the gnar gnar, I ride this:

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Most often on a Ventana riding in Santa Cruz.

But I've got a lot of other (vintage) bikes I rotate through when I'm riding other trails in the Bay Area.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,621 Posts
This bike rips

looks like a Nomad and the suspension is hella plush. Soaks up all the rough gnar in the Santa Cruz mountains, truly all mountain.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
nativeson said:
looks like a Nomad and the suspension is hella plush. Soaks up all the rough gnar in the Santa Cruz mountains, truly all mountain.
That thing rules! Wanna trade it for a 575? :p

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I got lost of bikes…
do lots of different riding…
at alot of different places…

just not enough time in a day to do all the riding I want to do..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts