Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned off Strava today, likely for good, or at least a long period of time. I've noticed over the past couple years I've become too into making sure I get a certain time, or distance, or average, or PR etc. It has affected my enjoyment to some degree. So today was my first ride, sans Strava. A little weird, I didn't realize just how conditioned I've become to pushing hard on certain segments knowing I will look back on my ride. And this is just my daily after work ride home! Will be interesting over the next few months.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
I push hard for survival. I'm getting old, and I have friends well into their 50s and 60s who are still fit as fu¢k and quite fast. I want to keep my fitness level until the day I die (if at all possible). I have been using Strava since 2011 to gauge my fitness. When I was racing, I relied heavily on it for understanding where I needed improvement… OK, so I still am racing, but I have not been signed with any teams since 2017. Anyway, to each their own. Strava for some people is a pissing-up-rope KOM snatching endeavour, and they get sucked into the "do people accept me?" social media retardation; I could give a rat's ass what people think about me. I am out there having fun, and woops excuse the fook out of me if I toppled your PR on Strava - I was having fun when it happened. Go have a beer and maybe eat some tofu salad and reflect upon your (collectively, not the thread poster, Mr. 5k Huffy legs) existence.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I push hard for survival. I'm getting old, and I have friends well into their 50s and 60s who are still fit as fu¢k and quite fast. I want to keep my fitness level until the day I die (if at all possible). I have been using Strava since 2011 to gauge my fitness. When I was racing, I relied heavily on it for understanding where I needed improvement… OK, so I still am racing, but I have not been signed with any teams since 2017. Anyway, to each their own. Strava for some people is a pissing-up-rope KOM snatching endeavour, and they get sucked into the "do people accept me?" social media retardation; I could give a rat's ass what people think about me. I am out there having fun, and woops excuse the fook out of me if I toppled your PR on Strava - I was having fun when it happened. Go have a beer and maybe eat some tofu salad and reflect upon your (collectively, not the thread poster, Mr. 5k Huffy legs) existence.
That's Mr. 5k Chicken Legs! I'm in my 40's but I'm feeling my age just in the last couple years too. I can't compete in Judo at the level I'd like to, I can't take the beatings anymore. I'm a bit more afraid of crashing on the MTB, etc. That has been a serious blow to the ego, the two things I really love doing, I can't do the way I used to.

With Strava, I just find that I'm needlessly competing with myself, and it's sucking the fun out of it. But that's just me. An athlete who's training for a specific goal like racing, that's a different story, and Strava is probably a very useful tool. Will be an interesting experiment.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,429 Posts
I am the same way with snacks, if they are in the house, they are in/on my belly. I quit looking at STRAVA this year. I use it for rides, but I have completeley taken the competitive aspect of it away from myself, at least for this year. When I turn it on, I use finger to block screen from vision, and press YOU button. I still add a photo or 2 every other ride, or on destination rides out of town. I never pull up personal times this year, or look at other peoples rides. I may also stop using it, but I like being able to use the calendar to see my rides per month. Additionally, I had elevation goals the last 3 yrs, not this year. Riding is a bit more fun without looking at stats, and I still hit my goals of "Rides per month".

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,429 Posts
Separatley, It is important to use STRAVA to log all my illegal trail rides. These are trails I often use, that are mapped trails for hikers and horses, but illegal for bikes. I believe in keeping pressure on officials that have decided to outlaw bikes on public trails. STRAVA will provide alot of data for decisions for future trail access.
****IF YOU TELL ME TO TURN OFF STRAVA FOR "Secret" Trails, I TURN IT OFF for those sections out of respect to fellow trail builders. I only use it for Mapped trails illegal for bikes.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I tried Strava a few times. For some reason I couldn't be bothered to diagnose, it kept pausing mid ride and not recording the whole ride. Deleted it and never thought about it again.

I do use a GPS/heart rate monitor watch though to keep track of miles, elevation, HR, and calories burned. That's the info I care about.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I do use a GPS/heart rate monitor watch though to keep track of miles, elevation, HR, and calories burned. That's the info I care about.
Basically the same thing strava does.

I enjoy strava, I wish it was available when I was younger. I don't push hard all the time but I do enjoy going for KOM's, up and downhill.

People like to say that those who use strava are selfish and have poor trail etiquette, because they've been run off the trail by a wild DH rider at some point or another.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't know if I can go without.
Not because I need to know every detail of the ride. But because I use it to help with maintenance records. I record my rides in an Excel Table but I use the gear function of Strava to track miles on components and to help with "Oh, it's been THAT long since I had this serviced".

I do get tied up on segment times when I am going for it. I PR'd a downhill yesterday that I thought I was slow on. Well, the segment ended early so it was bogus. Doing an estimate on the actual segment, I was still close to PR time. A good feeling knowing that after the segment I figured I was sort of slow.

I'm going out with my GoPro today to record a trail -not for "look how fast I (think I am) am". But to compare trail conditions of today vs. a few months ago. My times will all be slow and I don't care. I will still track miles from the ride.

And major bonus: I will get Kudos from my 4 Strava friends. :D

Enjoy the Strava-free rides. Curious if you can do it more than just a few rides or if the OCD nature of us gets you back into it soon but without worrying about numbers.
You can set your profile to be only to you so your times don't get posted to leader boards and no followers will see that you have recorded any activity.

If you are truly done with Strava, don't forgot to record one last ride with your exit notice informing everybody that you are giving up Strava. That's a thing, right?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
NorCal Drinking: Off / Strava: On
Being a fairly newbie to Strava - at least participating (long time lurker), I find it informative and fun.
I only compete with myself. It's fun to see what others are riding in my 'hood.
It's also fun and informative to see some of the backcountry skiing that I've been doing for the past 30 years on Strava and finally see the mileage/vert, etc.
Always wondered about that...

Found the drinking only slows me down lately. Turning 50 this year and am always impressed with some of the riders I follow that are older than me that can kick my ass.
Always enjoy seeing others on Strava enjoying some of the trails that I've built over the last 25 years.
I appreciate the inspiration!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I turned off Strava today, likely for good, or at least a long period of time. I've noticed over the past couple years I've become too into making sure I get a certain time, or distance, or average, or PR etc. It has affected my enjoyment to some degree. So today was my first ride, sans Strava. A little weird, I didn't realize just how conditioned I've become to pushing hard on certain segments knowing I will look back on my ride. And this is just my daily after work ride home! Will be interesting over the next few months.
Yeah, segments don't lead to the best experience for a lot of riders, and the hikers around them. It's too bad Strava doesn't let you turn them off, as far as I can tell. I'm going to start looking for an alternative that just lets me track my training stats, and share rides with friends. Mapmyride? Komoot?

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Nobody every uses strava for unofficial races? Why pay $100 to do an enduro race when you could just use strava. Get a group of your buddies, pick a run, fastest down the mountain for the day takes the cash. $5/$20 a head, just be wise about what run you and your buddies choose.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Are you sure we can't tempt you with just another banana pellet when we ring that bell?

Chapeau for taking your rides back.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.