Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a thread like this could be useful.

Truckee looks somewhat good right now and smoke forcast doesn't show it degrading badly in the next 24 hours. Just east of here, not so good. Guessing Donner Pass would be a good bet today.

TIA for sharing conditions at your locales.

Reactions: stripes

· Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prosser area had almost indiscernible haze and no smoke smell. Favorable wind direction. ~50 AQ, supposedly. Haze did look thicker to the south at higher elevations.

· Registered
1,683 Posts
Was up there last weekend when the smoke came in bad, so headed down to the bay area.

Been monitoring the smoke all day via purpleair, it's been under 100 most of the day for both NLT and SLT, so looking pretty good.

Though Reno NWS said this in their 5:21pm discussion:
As long as the Dixie Fire continues to be the single major source of smoke over the region, most mountain locations north of Lake Tahoe will see the lowest visibility and accompanying worst AQI values.

They also say the Sierra has increased risk of thundershowers, so hoping that keeps the air relatively clear and hopefully helps the trails too. Hope to head back up tomorrow eve.

· Registered
2,435 Posts
GOES-West satellite views. Pretty much limited to daytime on this true color map, so far as I can tell, but I have not clicked every wavelength. Resolution is very high, zoom in on the animation

(Aside, I worked on the rocket that launched this satellite.)

· Registered
896 Posts
Sounds like we're not out of the woods just yet. This is from weather.gov:

Wildfire smoke from the Dixie fire and other area wildfires
west of the Sierra will continue to produce smoke and haze
for much of northern California and Nevada.

Weak westerly winds may help to disperse smoke a little from the
Tahoe Basin and adjacent areas of the Sierra Front late this
afternoon, but northerly winds will push smoke back against the
Sierra Front and Tahoe Basin again late this evening into Tuesday
morning.

Bottom line: Air quality impacts will likely persist, and
potentially get much worse by Tuesday morning. Consider having
some contingency plans if you were planning on being outdoors for
extended periods.

Happy I got out for a quick ride today.

· Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Truckee got worse overnight, but check purpleair.com. TD looks pretty rough but everywhere else is closer to 100AQI
Confirming this. Yesterday was rideable; today I probably wouldn't.

· Registered
896 Posts
I was in a Zoom meeting earlier today and one of the people in Montana said they were getting a ton of smoke, too. A few weeks back a coworker in NYC name-dropped the Dixie fire...he said the smoke was visible way out there.

If you look at the smoke maps it really seems like these fires are impacting way more than just CA/OR/WA. My fingers are crossed that we can somehow come up with better ways of spotting and containing these sorts of yearly fires. Maybe expand the budget for fire protection so that all of the small/low-risk fires can be put out, rather than leaving them like the Tamarack fire was...woops.

· Registered
2,435 Posts
The smoke in Tahoe today is coming from the new Caldor fire, burning up the middle fork of the Consumnes River just east of Omo Ranch. I don't know how much to worry, it seems like it's still not huge but also seems like there's not much they can do about it in a canyon other than tanker drops.

· Registered
896 Posts
Gonna cross my fingers here...windy.com is calling for the wind in the Tahoe area to essentially reverse direction and blow to the S or SW between tonight and Friday noon-ish. Hopefully this will help push some of the smoke out and make for some nice riding conditions through the weekend. Time will tell.

Winds have been blustery today and the AQI is currently sitting around 100. Again - fingers are super duper crossed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.