Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm a cat3 roadie who has been dabbling in MTB racing for the past 2 or so years. I'm currently visiting my parents in Danville for the next 2 weeks. I only have a mountain bike with me currently and I'm looking for races in the area (I'm willing to drive a few hours) to keep myself in shape. Are there any websites or listings of local races? I'm a pretty pisspoor technical mountain bike handler, so I was planning to be racing in the lowest category.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
97 Posts
cruzer2424 said:
I'm a cat3 roadie who has been dabbling in MTB racing for the past 2 or so years. I'm currently visiting my parents in Danville for the next 2 weeks. I only have a mountain bike with me currently and I'm looking for races in the area (I'm willing to drive a few hours) to keep myself in shape. Are there any websites or listings of local races? I'm a pretty pisspoor technical mountain bike handler, so I was planning to be racing in the lowest category.
Check out http://norcalmtnbikeracing.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Every wednesday evening at 5:30 there are dirt crit races at Howarth Park in Santa Rosa. A,B,and C levels. It's fun. Howarth park is right next to Annadel Park, which has great trails.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the cougar mountain race is nationals this year, which means you have to be pre-qualified for most categories. you'd have to check and see if you'd be allowed to race there.

like guru mentioned, i'd recommend hitting the santa rosa dirt crits on a wednesday evening. go up early, ride around in annadale for a while, then drop back down into howarth park and race hard for 30-45 minutes. good workout.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
shortpull said:
the cougar mountain race is nationals this year, which means you have to be pre-qualified for most categories. you'd have to check and see if you'd be allowed to race there.

like guru mentioned, i'd recommend hitting the santa rosa dirt crits on a wednesday evening. go up early, ride around in annadale for a while, then drop back down into howarth park and race hard for 30-45 minutes. good workout.
Nice! That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Is there a website?

I'm pretty uhh... wimpish when it comes to technical stuff. So there has to be a beginner class. Otherwise I'm getting crushed. Also are they a friendly crowd? I just show up? Is there a start limit and does it fill up quickly?

As for the cougar race, I can't make it anyway. Places to go, people to see. :p

Thanks a ton!

·
zoip.
170 Posts
the santa rosa dirt crits are ten bucks. pre-reg is totally unheard of. show up and race. only three categories - A, B, and C. reg opens around 5h30, first race (c's) around 6, second race around 6h30, third race maybe 7h15? The course is pretty smooth, fast, and serpentine save for one rock garden. short laps, maybe 5 minutes each? maybe even less...tons of fun in any case.

·
Registered
61 Posts
everyone there is super friendly. if you're an active cat3 roadie, i'd start in the B race. the course isn't super technical, just one rock garden-ey corner. and you can pre-ride a couple laps beforehand and get a feel for it.

have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.