Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK. I've gone and made an impulse decision. I am going to produce a 2008 NorCal Mountain Biking Calendar. I'll get it printed in about 10 days or so, and have it available at Passion Trail Bikes or by mail, at a reasonable price.

It will cover Jan 2008 through Feb 2009 (14 months), and will feature photos of recognizable mountain biking places in Northern California. It will have moon phases, sunrise/sunset times, the usual holidays, as well as a few key events in the NorCal MTB scene where we already have the dates (like Sea Otter).

BUT I need some great photos. I'm looking for two types of shots: big feature shots for the top page (will be printed at least 10.5" x 8""), and little ones for the bottom page.

I'm looking for photos that are visually striking images, high resolution, and here's the key: For most of the feature shots, the bike, if any, should be a minor part of the image. I want scenery that draws you in and makes you feel like you want to go ride there. Maybe you can remember yourself standing where the photographer was. You know the kind of pictures I'm talking about. Ideally they will already be squareish or landscape or will tolerate cropping to fit in the space available. For little shots, they should obviously be recognizable somethings that look interesting as a small (2"x2"? 1"x4"?) image, filling the empty spaces at the end of the month. I'll post details on actual sizes after I start the layout.

So, please nominate some photos for the NorCal Calendar. I'll need info on the photographer so I can get permission and give proper credit.

Should be a fun project and a great calendar; I've seen some awesome shots here lately. We will probably have a lounge party to pick the winning photos.

Patty

ps. the shots below I found on Passion's flickr site, and probably won't make the cut.

Attachments

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Thanks Patty. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I tried to do this for last year, but had problems finding places to print within the time allowed and at a reasonable price. :madman: There were some awesome photos in the thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=210261&highlight=calendar+norcal

How much are you going to be able to sell these for? I'd be interested in one or two.

Fiona

·
BLS439
529 Posts
I may be able to contribute a couple.....I don't know they are quite what you're looking for though.

Here are a couple, contact me if you're interested:

They would come without watermark of course. Also, if anyone wants to get out and shoot...let me know.

Cheers,
Dave

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fiona said:
How much are you going to be able to sell these for? I'd be interested in one or two.
I don't know yet. Not a lot, probably something less than most calendars you'd buy in a store. I'll need to recoup printing costs, at least.

I like some of the shots here! Let's see some small pics too.

Patty

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
knobbyknees said:
I don't know yet. Not a lot, probably something less than most calendars you'd buy in a store. I'll need to recoup printing costs, at least.
Patty
That's where I ran into trouble. When you figure out who's doing the printing, will you let me know? I'd still like to make this an annual thing and I have a couple of other groups that would love calendars as gifts. Thanks again for working on this.

Fiona

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I'm avoiding work today and thought I'd post a few images and dates for fun (no particular order).

July 18-20 Mountain Bike Oregon #1
August 15-17 Mountain Bike Oregon #2
Little image below by Francois, maybe for August, to go along with the MTB Oregon "holiday"

April 17-20, 2008 Sea Otter
image below by KMax

Appetite Seminar Panorama for November (found on Morgan Fletcher's photos website)

Candidate feature shot for November:

Daylight savings time ends November 2, photo cropped from Francios' image taken at Fremont Older

MTBR's May by the Bay rides

December Cold Coe

I need more pictures, and dates of NorCal MTB events

Patty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'll nominate some photos, and definitely support it by buying one.

Can I suggest some themes so that you don't end up with 11 XC photos and 1 FR photo. Maybe divide the months up so that AM, DH, FR and XC all get equal playing time. Maybe two of each with four lifestyle photos (riders chillin' in parking lot before/after ride, Turkey Day gathering, photo of truck loaded with 50 bikes going down Hwy. 1, etc.).

And, as a rule, no asphalt/road bike in any picture whatsoever!

Oh, and a hot biker chick in there somewhere.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts