Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is eMTB singletrack access legal in NorCal? Other than OHV areas I already ride my dirtbikes. Everything near me is illegal for all bikes. Grrr...

Please stay on topic. There are plenty of ebike-hating & access-control rants in other threads.

Thank you,

Catfish ...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Most places I ride are technically illegal, most my time on a road bike is also spent doing something illigal ( over 15mph, complete stops, hand signals, blah, blah) so basically most my times is already spent being a criminal. So if I had an ebike, I'd view it as nothing changed. And ride it the same as other bikes. Because the reality is it's all freaking illigal already.

At least that's how I'd be able to sleep at night..... That and no one will be able to tell anyway. If they did, how do they prove you had the power turned on?

·
middle ring single track
4,676 Posts
State Parks are currently in a bit of a fog RE E-bikes; Sacramento has not issued a "hard-and-fast" policy as of yet in regards to the change brought about by AB-1096 so it's up to the local park (actually the local District Superintendent) to decide.

Henry W Coe SP is currently allowing Class 1 e-bikes to use park roads/trails but the rangers prefer that you ask first. (rangers are not always easy to find; YMMV) Some days the majority of bikes out on trails are e-bikes; Specialized is using Coe as an e-bike proving ground. (Spesh HQ is just down the road from Coe)

I've heard that China Camp SP is allowing them too but I've seen nothing official. I know that some SRA's already have Superintendent Orders banning them (as permitted by AB-1096)

·
mtb'er
4,219 Posts
Echoing prozach0215's comment, if you ride courteously and are friendly when crossing paths with other trail users, I see no harm in riding your ebike anywhere you mountain bike. If you are only about capturing KOM's on multi-use trails, consider taking up golf instead. Good luck getting the course record though.

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,079 Posts
State Parks are currently in a bit of a fog RE E-bikes; Sacramento has not issued a "hard-and-fast" policy as of yet in regards to the change brought about by AB-1096 so it's up to the local park (actually the local District Superintendent) to decide.

Henry W Coe SP is currently allowing Class 1 e-bikes to use park roads/trails but the rangers prefer that you ask first. (rangers are not always easy to find; YMMV) Some days the majority of bikes out on trails are e-bikes; Specialized is using Coe as an e-bike proving ground. (Spesh HQ is just down the road from Coe)

I've heard that China Camp SP is allowing them too but I've seen nothing official. I know that some SRA's already have Superintendent Orders banning them (as permitted by AB-1096)
Interestingly enough, rangers run e-bikes in Samuel P Taylor SP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
middle ring single track
4,676 Posts

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
^^ You sure about that? I couldn't find it on their site unless you're talking ADA.

That would be surprising/disappointing.

#effingspecialized

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yep, Ive gone there a few times and asked the rangers. No ADA required. Also have a friend who rides a Levo and lives just across the street. He rides there almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've been riding my Ebike for nearly 6 months now and have gone to numerous places. I normally call the local managers (if theyre not available) just go to the park and look for a ranger...just go and ask...most of the time theyre cool with it...MidPen OSP strictly bans them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Other places I go to are Del Valle and Pleasanton Ridge. Both are perfect for Ebikes do to the steep climbs.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
This is covered over in http://forums.mtbr.com/e-bikes/where-you-can-cannot-legally-ride-e-mtbs-1012246.html but inasmuch as that MTBR forum has an international scope it's a fair question to bring up here in the NorCal neighborhood.
i didnt mean anything malicious..i thought it would be best to ask the guys that have a dog in the fight, so to say. i bet they have awesome list and such..documented green lighted ebike singletracks.

i'm one of the guys that welcome the damn things. i have no issues with following or passing an ebike on a trail. i worry about real stuff..not how others live their lives. if an Ebike passes me on a grinding climb, i am hooking my water bladder to them :)

·
Paper or plastic?
10,193 Posts
Midpen hates all things with pedals

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts