Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a nice little write up about our High School MTB League which George de Trog pointed out to me. Our President, Matt Fritzinger, is interviewed and puts the sport in perspective.
This sort of thing is only going to get bigger and grows as more people volunteer to coach and organize. If you have a kid who is an athlete and likes to ride, think about what you can do together to ride with others like her or him. Consider all that you know about this sport and how you can give back.
I sincerely believe that teaching kids to race makes for better trail sharing; they learn what's what and what it costs when you blow it. They learn what it means to race amongst racers; skill, power, discipline, grace, honor. Be a part of it.

Just think about it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Cudo's

I read that article also . Our local team has one the series before. Matt helped me with a fundraiser/ endurance ride that I put on. He is a real asset to our MTB community.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Liability scares people but

ArmySlowRdr said:
I think the school districts with mountain bike teams/activities are great. Too many are scared away by possible liability issues. I think I read here in HI that even the local passion of surfing is hard to make it as a school activity.

So kudos to those that work through the issues to grow our sport.
we have far fewer injuries than football, baseball, and soccer so it is a matter of confronting ignorance. As far as gathering athletes, bike riders are less team oriented than the aformentioned sports. The administrative structure, as it is starting from scratch, can be created to address this. Usually the kids that like to ride or ride well like to ride with us, much in the way that youmight like to skateboard with friends.
Now surfers, that is a very different cut of cloth.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is your team?

merlin said:
I read that article also . Our local team has one the series before. Matt helped me with a fundraiser/ endurance ride that I put on. He is a real asset to our MTB community.
I've read many of your posts before and it is clear that you have enthusiasm for our sport.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.