Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to ride on New Years Day. So far we are thinking Sly Park / Pollack Pines but that may change if it snows to much. I'll keep everyone informed on the board. So far Aaron and Sherwood said they would probably go and a few of my buddies have signed on.

Everyone is welcome even if you don't ride a Ventana. You will be throughly harassed however.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,807 Posts
That sounds like a great ride

Keep us posted on the details. I would be up for that. I usually ride New Years day. I haven't been to Sly Park since my college days. Have you ever rode through the overflow tube that feeds the lake? It's a little over one fouth of a mile long. :D

I will be ridding my Merlin HT since my GF Sugar is down for front triangle warranty replacement. But I would be willing to accept a Ventana FS loaner bike....size XL

Pauliemon said:
We are planning to ride on New Years Day. So far we are thinking Sly Park / Pollack Pines but that may change if it snows to much. I'll keep everyone informed on the board. So far Aaron and Sherwood said they would probably go and a few of my buddies have signed on.

Everyone is welcome even if you don't ride a Ventana. You will be throughly harassed however.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not looking good for Sunday. I'm keeping a close eye on the Weather Channel. Maybe we should consider Granite Bay or Salmon Falls. Both those trail drain off better than Sly Park.

Man this forum is dead. Sherwood hurry up with my frame so we'll have something to talk about.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sherwood take note.

mtnbiker4life said:
I will be ridding my Merlin HT since my GF Sugar is down for front triangle warranty replacement. But I would be willing to accept a Ventana FS loaner bike....size XL
Looking foward to meeting you.

Paul

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
New Years day hangover ride...

Pauliemon said:
It's not looking good for Sunday. I'm keeping a close eye on the Weather Channel. Maybe we should consider Granite Bay or Salmon Falls. Both those trail drain off better than Sly Park.

Man this forum is dead. Sherwood hurry up with my frame so we'll have something to talk about.
And you want to do Granite Bay? Sheesh! Actually, it is a fine trail, very underated.
Salmon would be fun and drains as well if not better than Granite, one thing though.
Check the FATRAC site, I believe they have their annual hangover ride there as well and that would make one croweded trail.

Me I don't care which, but I say lets hit it early 8-9am ish and get the ride in before Ma' Nature dumps, yet again on us.

(I believe we have a window early Sunday to Sunday afternoon, but we can't make that call until later this Week.

-A

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,807 Posts
One thing I have against the Granite Bay trail is when muddy it's like showering your mtn bike with sand. I'm still picking sand out of my drive train from down pour eariler this month. But that's all mute for the single speed guys :(

I rode Auburn on Saturday and the trail was really nice. I would be up for Auburn starting at Russell then do Manzanetta trail, then ride back up the fire road to Upper Stagecoach. Then down to the confluence, then do misery hill or road up to the gate. Then do the connector out and back. Then down the tunnel trail. Then ride the road to pick up the Stonewall trail (if the MX trail is closed) down to Murderers for Mtn bikes. Then ride up the steep road to pick up the confluence trail. Then back up to Russell.

I'm open to an early start then Mocas at Starbucks afterwoods?

Ciclistagonzo said:
And you want to do Granite Bay? Sheesh! Actually, it is a fine trail, very underated.
Salmon would be fun and drains as well if not better than Granite, one thing though.
Check the FATRAC site, I believe they have their annual hangover ride there as well and that would make one croweded trail.

Me I don't care which, but I say lets hit it early 8-9am ish and get the ride in before Ma' Nature dumps, yet again on us.

(I believe we have a window early Sunday to Sunday afternoon, but we can't make that call until later this Week.

-A

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Ah, I see...

mtnbiker4life said:
guys :(

I rode Auburn on Saturday and the trail was really nice. I would be up for Auburn starting at Russell then do Manzanetta trail, then ride back up the fire road to Upper Stagecoach. Then down to the confluence, then do misery hill or road up to the gate. Then do the connector out and back. Then down the tunnel trail. Then ride the road to pick up the Stonewall trail (if the MX trail is closed) down to Murderers for Mtn bikes. Then ride up the steep road to pick up the confluence trail. Then back up to Russell.

I'm open to an early start then Mocas at Starbucks afterwoods?
You like to climb. Have you seen my pictures? Do I look like somebody built to climb? :)

This is Paulie's ride, I'll let him decide.

-Aaron
When I first started riding Ventana's I was the person responsible for the Sumo - Race class.
Clydesdales were too light!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ciclistagonzo said:
You like to climb. Have you seen my pictures? Do I look like somebody built to climb? :)

This is Paulie's ride, I'll let him decide.

-Aaron
When I first started riding Ventana's I was the person responsible for the Sumo - Race class.
Clydesdales were too light!
I'm going to check out Sly today. I'll let you guys know when I get back.

Aaron I know how to do Trail 8 without any extended climbing.

I'm with mtnbiker4life on the Gay Bay thing. It's like throwing sandpaper on your bike but it's a fun trail.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Trail 8 is fun..

Pauliemon said:
I'm going to check out Sly today. I'll let you guys know when I get back.

Aaron I know how to do Trail 8 without any extended climbing.

I'm with mtnbiker4life on the Gay Bay thing. It's like throwing sandpaper on your bike but it's a fun trail.
Trail 8 (fleming Meadows right?) is a lot of fun. We usually tackle that counter clockwise to save that last blast downhill for the end. We've never completed a clockwise loops as the one time we tried the first climb was so loose and dusty it was too much work to climb.

And I don't mind the climbing, I'm just slow.

I am looking forward to your report, since I've never chanced riding Fleming Meadows' after a good rain, I don't how it holds up.

Although quite frankly we need to be realistic, it's rained 6" in just over 10 days in the valley closer to 14" in the foothills. ANYWHERE we go will have some sort of issues to contend with! :) I'll probably bring Bruja just so I can use the 2.5" tires as flotation devices in case things go sour on us!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it looks like I won't be able to go after all. A quick call to my buddy who lives there confirmed sloppy in places but totally doable.

Yeah Trail 8 is the Fleming Meadows loop. Instead of parking at the lake you go up the road to Blue Gouge Mine Rd. The uphill you were talking about is now a downhill. I have all kinds of loops we can do. It just depends on how much you want to climb.

I say we chance it. :confused: :p :cool:

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
I'm willing to give it a shot...

Pauliemon said:
Well it looks like I won't be able to go after all. A quick call to my buddy who lives there confirmed sloppy in places but totally doable.

Yeah Trail 8 is the Fleming Meadows loop. Instead of parking at the lake you go up the road to Blue Gouge Mine Rd. The uphill you were talking about is now a downhill. I have all kinds of loops we can do. It just depends on how much you want to climb.

I say we chance it. :confused: :p :cool:
I'm willing to give it a chance but let me warn you, I have contacts here at work that are saying Friday/Sat storm will be very Wet.
Have you gotten a hold of Sherwood to see what he thinks?

-a

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ciclistagonzo said:
I'm willing to give it a chance but let me warn you, I have contacts here at work that are saying Friday/Sat storm will be very Wet.
Have you gotten a hold of Sherwood to see what he thinks?

-a
I know I heard Sunday ain't gonna be no picnic either. May not be any ride any where. No I have not talked with Sherwood. Is Ventana closed this week?

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Yes and yes.

Pauliemon said:
I know I heard Sunday ain't gonna be no picnic either. May not be any ride any where. No I have not talked with Sherwood. Is Ventana closed this week?
Yes the first storm is a doozy, and the second storm appears to be arriving earlier than thought.

And yes Ventana took some time off betwix Holidays to recharge the batteries.

If this first storm that is already getting us wet is as bad as they say it is, I will be working all weekend anyway and won't be able to ride.

My inflated $0.05:

Scuttle the organized ride. Do what best suits the conditions and persoal availability and we can do something next weekend, when the weather is (hopefully) co-operating.

-A

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.