Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
That is so cool to watch. I've always wanted to go to one of the Norba races.

If they found someone that knew the courses well enough to commentate, OLN could totally cover these races, which I think would generate some well-deserved revenue for Norba.

Thanks for the vid, I'm headin' over to watch it again!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Man, that was awesome!!!

There is rarely any good XC footage out there. Typically I draw on road racing coverage for motivation from their pain/suffereing. Your video really showed some of the suffering that we go through in XC, and some of the fun of XC singletrack

thanks!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hum, all I saw was a guy going to hit a try and managed to push himself off to keep himself from hitting the tree and maybe falling and causing a traffic jam :D :D Who hasn't done this move while riding XC? I know I have seom many times.

tg3895 said:
Can you use a tree to push yourself along the route? Is that legal?
As for the vid, excellent thanks for sharing. Quite long for 88MB, realy gave a great idea what that course was like and the speed those damn pro's carry.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Yes, excellent link. I went to watch the Sugar Mtn Norba race and it was awesome! i was going to race in the beginner/sport category, but had to sit it out due to a broken wrist from my previous race... it may have saved me from certain death at Sugar Mtn, it was a very tough course with lots of crashes... some rather serious like a compound ankle fracture... and that was XC !! In fact the Super D and XC course shared the same dowhill... scary. The excitement was just like in this vid though, complete with the announcer, the drummer dudes, and lots of bikes and bikers everywhere... if this doesn't make you want to race you don't have a pulse.

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,121 Posts
OLN used to have quite a bit of racing on, that's why after years of fighting the urge to upgrade my basic-cable, I finally did a few years ago - and that is exactly the point they quit showing any MTB stuff at all! They had every world cup race, many Norba races, they even had a weekly show just about riding and gear. I was in heaven for about a month before they pulled it all.

As far as I'm concerned, NORBA themselves should be blamed - it's in their best interest to make an effort to get the sport as much publicity as possible. Heck, find a smaller channel if cost is prohibitive. I know how much it costs, a friend of mine worked for a year and created his own hunting-type reality show, and he had to pay OLN serious dough to get it on. He did it for a year, then switched to some other Outdoor channel I don't have. He did it himself, so certainly Norba could with a little work. If OLN can show bull-riding, which isn't even outdoors usually, and all the other junk they show, then truly a long-standing race series like Norba is worthy of some coverage even at 2 a.m....I miss the mid-90's, those were the good ol' days.

Enough ranting. I enjoyed that, thanks. I will have to dig out some old VHS tapes I saved of all the MTB races that used to be on ESPN - and a few I bought from when I used to race some NORBA nationals.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
OLN used to have quite a bit of racing on, that's why after years of fighting the urge to upgrade my basic-cable, I finally did a few years ago - and that is exactly the point they quit showing any MTB stuff at all! They had every world cup race, many Norba races, they even had a weekly show just about riding and gear. I was in heaven for about a month before they pulled it all.

As far as I'm concerned, NORBA themselves should be blamed - it's in their best interest to make an effort to get the sport as much publicity as possible. Heck, find a smaller channel if cost is prohibitive. I know how much it costs, a friend of mine worked for a year and created his own hunting-type reality show, and he had to pay OLN serious dough to get it on. He did it for a year, then switched to some other Outdoor channel I don't have. He did it himself, so certainly Norba could with a little work. If OLN can show bull-riding, which isn't even outdoors usually, and all the other junk they show, then truly a long-standing race series like Norba is worthy of some coverage even at 2 a.m....I miss the mid-90's, those were the good ol' days.

Enough ranting. I enjoyed that, thanks. I will have to dig out some old VHS tapes I saved of all the MTB races that used to be on ESPN - and a few I bought from when I used to race some NORBA nationals.
The same exact thing happened with the windsurfing coverage at the same time. The early to mid-90's had coverage of national competitions... then nothing at all. While there are a lot more people that bike than windsurf, there's still not enough serious types to support the money hungry tv and ad execs I guess. It's just not mainstream enough (not that bullriding is exactly mainstream either... I don't quite understand why that's on, but I guess it means I don't fit the demographic... does not compute with me).

·
Registered
335 Posts
A number of things that surprised me:

The amount of pros running risers instead of flats/bar ends

The number times they'd get off to run over an obstacle

The really wide singletrack, i don't think I saw a section where it would be impossible to pass.

Not to doubt any of these guys, obviously I would have trouble just riding the course, let alone keeping up with the racers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.