Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
feeling squirrelly
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding info online about the courses for the NORBA marathon races. Anyone know on average how many miles and feet of climbing they consist of? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
races

I can't find it now, but I did see that the Marathons are 100k (62.5 m). I'm sure there will be lots of climbing at Deer Valley and Brian Head. I will probably do DV. I hear a rumor they will be using part of the E100 course which is mostly single track.

·
feeling squirrelly
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Daisy. Have you done one of the NORBA marathons before? I am wondering if they are usually a loop that repeats or an out and back. Do you know if there is any support on the course, feed zones, etc. Or do you need to be totally self supported? Thanks for any info.... :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Actually I think (but am not sure) that fifty mile races are also considered Marathon. Like the FireCracker50 in Breck, CO or the Leadville Silver Rush 50 also in CO. Ones like Breck are two loops and ones like Leadville are out and back. Both have lots of feed stations and LOTS of climbing. If you are fast I would say 5hrs would be good time at these races, but I am not sure your riding level. In 5hrs you would possibly win the Leadville Silver Rush as a female. Climbing is going to be somewhat serious if you are looking at the Utah races though I think I would favor Brian Head...both would be great. Good Luck, endurance racing is great fun so enjoy. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't done any. I prefer 100 miles and have done the Endurance 100 here in ParkCity, the Brian Head 100, and Vail 100. I know they used part of the Brian Head 100 course last year. People said it was fun. I think they did 2 laps. Team Big Bear puts on both NORBA races in Utah. You could email or call them. Where do you live?

·
feeling squirrelly
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. Don't know why I was having a hard time finding info on races.... maybe I wasn't searching for the right thing. I live in Northern California, there are plenty of 8, 12 and 24 hour races around here. Just having a hard time finding races nearby that are 40-50 mile plus range. I suppose there isn't as big of a demand??? I plan on doing an 8 hour race in October solo that I did as a 2 person team last year. It is a 10 mile loop though, gets a little redundant after a while. I was looking for something more "epic". :thumbsup: I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't like going in circles either. I just did the 12 hrs of E here because it is part of a series. There are quite a few 50 mile races in Utah and Colo - often the 100 milers also have options of 50 miles or 100k. What about the Sonoma NORBA races?

·
Registered
408 Posts
marathon races

Marathons that are over 100 km are listed at Ride424.com. Most are not that long. If you find any not on my calendar let me know!

Happily, this year's marathon national championship at Sonoma (sponsored by X-Fusion Shox) is 69 miles and is a short drive up the road for me. So I get to go have Eatough and friends wail on me in my own back yard.

Cheers,

·
Registered
79 Posts
This last week at DV was either 35 or 50 miles depending on if you went for the the amateur or open/pro. The laps had roughly 4k of climbing two drawn out climbs. I saw a bunch of E-100 markers on the course, though we turned around at the XC turn-around instead of heading out for more like the E-100 apparently does. Plan on 4 - 5 hours on the bike. The Nova race in March had a winning pro time of 3.5 hours with the fastest amateur in at around 4.33 hours. Nova would have been one lap longer, but they shortened it because of the heat. I think the criteria they're using is what will keep the riders out for more than 4 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.