Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sunday looks like a good time to do the norbaloop. I think the 100 temps are right around the corner. It's may already? Meet at the southside lot(big lot) at high NOON.
Lets try to get a big group together.(matt, where you at?)
Puke hill is calling on you!

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
E ! said:
This sunday looks like a good time to do the norbaloop. I think the 100 temps are right around the corner. It's may already? Meet at the southside lot(big lot) at high NOON.
That's the loop I think I'm going to do for the May FNR. 5:00-5:30pm Friday May 6. Let me know how it rides. :)

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
E ! said:
Sounds good. Hmm did I just agree to that???

Shawn

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
past the latenight parking lot

BKnight said:
weres is at? i may be interested in doing it on a different day, this weekend is full
continue up hwy 160 .Look to the south of the road(left) it has a big gate and a kiosk/ thingy!

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Just out of morbid curiosity (I can't go cause I have to work)... how much d'you think that trail would kick my arse? I've been meaning to check it out, but I'm not sure if I could handle it.

- Jen.

·
Registered
578 Posts
mahgnillig said:
Just out of morbid curiosity (I can't go cause I have to work)... how much d'you think that trail would kick my arse? I've been meaning to check it out, but I'm not sure if I could handle it.

- Jen.
ITS EASY, JUST THAT THE FIRST CLIMB IS BORING :eek:

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
rick watts said:
ITS EASY, JUST THAT THE FIRST CLIMB IS BORING :eek:
Its NOT that easy and the trail is probably not in the best of shape either due to the rains this spring. If you are in good climbing shape you can ride this trail without killing yourself

Shawn

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Redmon said:
Its NOT that easy and the trail is probably not in the best of shape either due to the rains this spring. If you are in good climbing shape you can ride this trail without killing yourself

Shawn
Hmm, maybe one to aim for later in the year then. So far I'm comfortable with most of the other side of the Cottonwood trails and the stuff around Blue Diamond that isn't The Hurl. My tech skills consist mainly of hang on & pray or get off and walk though, so a trail in questionable shape is probably not a good idea if I'm riding alone (Hubby is still hurting a bit after his last crash and wants to ride something easy this weekend). Thanks for the info anyway... time to work on my cardio a bit I think :)

- Jen.

·
:\ ping of death
1,092 Posts
Redmon said:

Shawn
Ive never ridden it myself. How does it compare to Cowboy Trails?

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
NORBA Loop

I just got back from a Norba Loop ride starting at Latenight (doing my favorite Norba Variation). Started at Latenight, Up Badger, Down BARTA connection, Up Red Valley, Down Satans Escalator and then the Norb Loop (clockwise). The trail is much better than I expected. All the recent rains have packed down some of the loose sections. It looks like Jared Fisher has racked out some of the rough spots. There are some bad areas where the trail dissappears through baby head rocks when it crosses washes -- but the washes are narrow and the trail is plainly visable. I even nailed 29.5 mph coming back down Puke Ridge and the mileage was 13.5 w/ 2024ft climbing (according to Delorme)

matt

I'll see if I can get out for the May 6 FNR. We have a fundraise for scouts that night -- maybe my wife can cover me.

Attachments

·
:\ ping of death
1,092 Posts
Damn, cant make it tomorrow. Thumb hasnt fully healed and my rear derailleur isnt setup properly. Gotta take it to ProCyclery or LVC tomorrow. If I can wrap my thumb good enough to use it for shifting I might make it but Ill be pullin' up the rear. Have fun if I dont see you guys there.

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
mattbikeboy said:
I'll see if I can get out for the May 6 FNR. We have a fundraise for scouts that night -- maybe my wife can cover me.
Hope you can make it, Matt. But leaving the wife with a scout fundraiser to go ride sounds like trouble to me. At least it would be in my home. Friends of Scouting time? I've been in charge of that for like the past 5 years..... I got off the hook this year :) .

When you come out at the top of Red Valley how far do you go down before crossing over? I think the swoopy section from the top of Devils Escalator down to the crossover by the tank (heading in the CC direction) is some of the funnest ST on the loop. It looks like you cut that off on your route. That and the ride down Red Valley just make it really hard for me to even consider riding that loop clockwise. Why do you like it better clockwise?

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
KRob said:
Hope you can make it, Matt. But leaving the wife with a scout fundraiser to go ride sounds like trouble to me. At least it would be in my home. Friends of Scouting time? I've been in charge of that for like the past 5 years..... I got off the hook this year :) .

When you come out at the top of Red Valley how far do you go down before crossing over? I think the swoopy section from the top of Devils Escalator down to the crossover by the tank (heading in the CC direction) is some of the funnest ST on the loop. It looks like you cut that off on your route. That and the ride down Red Valley just make it really hard for me to even consider riding that loop clockwise. Why do you like it better clockwise?
I'm the Stake FOS Chair this year and we are pretty much done -- minus 1 or 2 wards. Friday is our wards annual YM/YW fundraiser/cake auction/service auction.

I used to like riding the single track from the top of Escalator down to the overlook -- but that trail is really different (wider) and less likely to run into a joshua tree than when I started riding out there. I don't know if the trail itself has changed that much of if additional travel or technology on my bike has made the section less exciting.

I feel the same about Red Valley, it has become such a freeway. You can go as fast as you want without some of the technical features to make it interesting. I'd rather climb on the boring stuff and weave my way down the technical and rocky stuff. I know, I must be very weird! ;) I've attached a photo from last nights ride showing a little of what I'm talking about. The trail used to have a sweet rolling drop with a root drop in this section. I've drawn lines across where the trail tread used to be. It used to be fun little section -- now it is just a straight shot. I remeber that root from the first time I rode that trail in the fall of '93. Also the rain never used to run down the trail there - now it does. I have to figure out what we can do protect that section from water and make it more fun to ride. Maybe we can rebuild the humps and rock armor the trail tread. That red clay is the challenge - I don't want to change the character of the trail. But, we have to do something to prevent further erosion from making it even worse. There is that one rock drop that still brings a grin to my face when descending Red Valley though. :D

I think I want to try the Bonnie and Clyde (BLM's New 33 trail) from Latenight one of these days. It's the trail that goes up Red Valley past the over look and down the Valley east of Cottonwood/Red Valley. We use the upper section of that valley on the Blue Diamond to Jean ride and I have never ridden it all the way back. I bet the trail is nearly invisible with plant growth this year -- besides it's not a trail that gets much use anyway. It has peaked my interest for an adventure ride.

matt

PS. You guys pick up a gold adjuster cap on the trail today? I noticed my fork lost the rebound adjustment knob during my ride yesterday. :mad:

Attachments

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
think I want to try the Bonnie and Clyde (BLM's New 33 trail) from Latenight one of these days. It's the trail that goes up Red Valley past the over look and down the Valley east of Cottonwood/Red Valley. We use the upper section of that valley on the Blue Diamond to Jean ride and I have never ridden it all the way back. I bet the trail is nearly invisible with plant growth this year -- besides it's not a trail that gets much use anyway. It has peaked my interest for an adventure ride.

Where past the overlook do you hook in to that ride? Is it singletrack? That would be a hell of a long ride back to Latenight. Sorry I didnt make it out today cause Im sick but I know eric was out there. Maybe he found your cap,

Shawn

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
mattbikeboy said:
I'm the Stake FOS Chair this year and we are pretty much done -- minus 1 or 2 wards. Friday is our wards annual YM/YW fundraiser/cake auction/service auction.
I spoke too soon. I just got roped into going around and picking up donations from people who'd pledged tonight.

mattbikeboy said:
I used to like riding the single track from the top of Escalator down to the overlook -- but that trail is really different (wider) and less likely to run into a joshua tree than when I started riding out there. I don't know if the trail itself has changed that much of if additional travel or technology on my bike has made the section less exciting.
Now that you mention it, I've noticed that lately too. I thought it was just a head wind or something.

mattbikeboy said:
I feel the same about Red Valley, it has become such a freeway. You can go as fast as you want without some of the technical features to make it interesting. I'd rather climb on the boring stuff and weave my way down the technical and rocky stuff. I know, I must be very weird! ;)
Naw, it's all good. I like climbing technical and picking my way down technical, and bombing fast swoopy or climbing long smooth. I just wondered what your take on it was. What techy downhill are you picking your way down on the Norba loop clockwise? You've got the escalator, but that's not much and then Puke hill is pretty much just a straight shot dirt road.

mattbikeboy said:
I think I want to try the Bonnie and Clyde (BLM's New 33 trail) from Latenight one of these days. It's the trail that goes up Red Valley past the over look and down the Valley east of Cottonwood/Red Valley.
We did part of that loop (I think) once several years ago and it was pretty loose and forgetable it seems... but maybe the trail's been developed more since then? I'm always up for exploring new stuff.... probably not at night though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.