Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

nOOby here. Just moved back to CA from CO where I have a place in the mountains above Boulder. There I can ride from the house on something like 425 miles of sweet singletrack.

I got a place in Moss Beach starting 4/1 and I was wondering what's what around the 'hood. My friend is going to give me a tour around pacifica tomorrow but I was also wondering if there's anything across the highway closer to to MB. Seems like a big open space from the maps.

I also work off 35 in san bruno and would love to ride to work on dirt. Is this possible? Probably should pick up a lat 40 map, is there one for the peninsula?

thanks,

nOObs

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, a local bike shop reco would be appreciated.

I brought a belt drive 29er hardtail and a yeti asx FR with me so I like to ride pretty much anything.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Well welcome back and Colorado is not California in that you will not be hitting singletrack right outside your front door. You have to mix in some pavement and fireroads to get there.

Best singletrack *sorta* close to San Bruno is Skeggs (El Corte de Madera) on your way home to HMB or Water Dog in Belmont. You can hit up Water Dog by taking the Caltrain.

Check out a local favorite shop

Passion Trail Bikes

http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds good, I'll be happy if I can ride to a ride but don't mind a little drive either.

Is it possible to ride to san bruno from HMB on some fieroads at all? Or is it a closed watershed.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
nOOby said:
sounds good, I'll be happy if I can ride to a ride but don't mind a little drive either.

Is it possible to ride to san bruno from HMB on some fieroads at all? Or is it a closed watershed.
I think you might be looking at Sweeney Ridge. Its very off limits. Know of people hopping the big fence, getting spotted from far away and ticketed. Not worth the poach at all.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,259 Posts
Hey, I'm fellow coastsider, welcome! A lot of the stuff up the hill from you is watershed land, and is not accessible (legally) by the public (yet), not even on foot. You can explore a route up and over Montara mountain (via McNee ranch), ride though Pacifica and I guess try Milagra ridge (http://www.sfmtb.com/sheets/MAP/BART_to_Milagra.htm#part2), to get up to 35, then ride the road to san bruno... sounds kinda brutal, and I have no experience with Milagra Ridge.

The closest place to ride other Montara mountain (Pacifica) is Purisima open space preserve off of higgins purisima road in Half moon bay. You can get in a relatively short loop with a lot of climbing, but it's a muddy, soft mess right now.

Edit: You can get to the top of skyline (35) from purisima, but there's no connection to the 35 in San Bruno. It's all closed watershed.

For fun (not commute), you can also cruise along the dirt trails on the bluffs above Maverick's, drop down into pillar point harbor, and there is a paved multi-use path that takes you down the coast that turns into flat dirt trails about 6 miles down from the harbor. (Again, a mudfest right now... and pretty flat and boring if you're looking for a workout)

To drive to some rides, there are a ton up on Skyline drive... (including Skeggs, already mentioned) maps and descriptions available here:
http://www.openspace.org/

·
Mtb Bum
144 Posts
My sister used to live up that way...

...in Nederland specifically.

Welcome back to CA. I'm more of a North Bay (and Sierra Nevada) rider, but if you want to hit some trails up this way sometime, give me a holler.

Erik

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Man,

One more tidbit of advice If you do choose to go to the OPL, don't drive (actually the bluff ride that shredchic described is nice to get back to Moss Beach). It tends to be fun but the surrounding area is a chp/sherriff/police breeding ground.

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pacifica is totally fun and its kinda cool that you have to earn your turns. You almost have to go to the resorts to get the same in Colorado.

back up in Petaluma now and might check out Annadel, if I can motivate before the rain.

Erik, Ned is where my house is. Fun riding.

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so Annadel was perfect for the SS, and pacifica perfect for the FR. Looking forward to seeing some other places.

Probably going to need my geared trail bike eventually for something but it's in CO. hummm.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
nOOby...I don't have much to add but I like your avatar. Looks like Barry McGee aka Twist.

After you've hit Skeggs (El Corte de Madera), venture down the coast an hour to Santa Cruz. Lot's of good riding down here for all disciplines.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
Other than what's mentioned, there's some old access roads that go up the side of the mountain. You can get to one of them off Etheldore. Exit Hwy 1 on the south end of Etheldore and you'll see a pullout a few hundred feet from the highway. The trail starts there. There's a few turns, etc, and eventualy you'll start climbing. The trail heads up the ridge and eventually connects with another access road that runs North to South. I haven't been up there for years so I can't comment on the current trail conditions.

Here's a picture I took near the top looking toward the ocean. The trail follows the ridge all the way back down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.