Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have $500 and I want to get into mtb. Basically it will be cross-country, it'll be on no more than a 45deg up/down, lots of rough terrain deep woods etc I'm in upstate NY and have the entire Adirondacks at my feet. Basically I want something that will last me and will be upgradable. Any recommendations where to go and what to buy? And I really don't know the 'lingo' so put it in lamens terms. :D Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, for extra info this is all of the info you seem to ask in other threads:

I'm 6', 170#, I want something I *can* ride on roads but mainly off-road/trails so I guess freeride/crosscountry bike. I'm looking to spend 400-500$ on the /bike/ before helmet etc, and I want to know what to look for as far as extras. I know to try to get disc brakes but I don't know jack other than that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
check out supergo...

xenonlogic said:
Oh, for extra info this is all of the info you seem to ask in other threads:

I'm 6', 170#, I want something I *can* ride on roads but mainly off-road/trails so I guess freeride/crosscountry bike. I'm looking to spend 400-500$ on the /bike/ before helmet etc, and I want to know what to look for as far as extras. I know to try to get disc brakes but I don't know jack other than that.
you might be able to get a full suspension bike for that much, but I would go with a hardtail with a suspension fork for that much...try the used classifieds in mtbr as well...most of the bikes sold there are higher quality ones with good components...good luck!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No more than 45 degrees up/down hey. You think 45 deg is a fairly easy incline then?

Anyway, don't expect too much for $500. Stick to major brand name hardtails and forget about disc brakes or full suspension. A trip to your local bike shop would be in order to try out a few examples and get more personal advice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
a few options

I agree with the earlier post about staying away from full suspension bikes and disc brakes for less than $500.

A few bikes to consider would be: Trek 4300, Trek 4500, Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized RockHopper, Specialized HardRock, Iron Horse Warrior, maybe a few Giants to choose from (I'm not too familiar with the Giant line). I would buy a bike from a big name company such as the ones I've listed above.

My biggest recommendation would be to go ride as many bikes as possible (even if it is a parking lot demo). You want to find a bike that fits you and that you are comfortable on. For example - Trek bikes have a more traditional feel whereas Fisher bikes (with Genesis geometry) have a more stretched out feel. Some people like this and others don't. Go to your local bike shop (LBS) and give a few bikes a spin. Don't be afraid to ask questions and try out different sizes of the same bike.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Trek 4500

Funnily enough my wife started out on a Trek 4500 hardtail. Nice solidly built bike for the money (£400 in the UK). The frame on this is good quality and worthy of later upgrades too. In fact she upgraded both the fork and brakes and finished up with a pretty competent trailbike. She's moved on to full suspension now, but the Trek was certainly good enough to get her hooked on mountain biking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got a Trek 4500. I love it, no problems. I upgraded the brake pads too koolstops thin lines. (I needed the extra breaking power, weighing in at 205). I upgraded the tires to Panaracer Fire XC Pro, got some ODI lock on grips and thats it. Those for me where the only things I felt needed to be upgraded straight away. Everything else will get upgraded as the break. The frame is nice and strong, and pretty light weight.

Hope this help,

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.