Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning from England..
I've had various mountain bikes plus one BMX bike as a child but I'm talking 20+ years ago now.
I've grown since then and looking to get a bike, get fitter and loose some bloody weight. I'm currently 23 stone (330lbs ish) and at 6'5 most things in life are not made for such stature. I'm obviously going to keep up the dieting and I also have a stationary exercise bike but ideally looking for the real thing at some point.

I have looked at Zinn & Clydesdale cycles but unfortunately it's not an option as I'm in the UK & shipping plus import taxes wouldn't be worth it. So a bike I could get in the UK is preferred.

So I was thinking of a fatbike or an XXL gravel/touring bike, am I right in thinking these would be better suited for the heavier guy?
Also I've searched for fatbikes and the biggest size I've come across is an XL, does anyone think this maybe a bit small? I wouldn't like the idea of having the seat so high up and my knees hitting the handlebars. I'm sure bikes have come a long way since my last & I'm a bit lost when it comes to the spec side of things, I was just looking for some advice really.

My budget is about £1000, I know manufacturers have weight limits but I was wondering if there is anyone that knows of a bike that would be sufficient for soft bike rides , nothing crazy.

Or should I wait until I've lost 50lbs or so?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nothing is more motivating that a new bike, so I hope you can find something that fits. I have a Cannondale XL Trail hardtail that works well for me at 6'-2" 255. If you are 6-5 That bike would probably be too small for you. There are a few manufacturers that make XXL frames. That would be best for you, and some 29 x 2.5 tires.
Over 300 is going to be a heavy load for wheels and spokes. I'm replacing my wheels with Raceface ARC Heavy Duty rims, and SRAM 900 hubs to support my weight on trails.

·
Underskilled
4,934 Posts
Hi,
Welcome back to biking.
Thanks to mtb I'm no longer a Clyde =)

I'm still 6'7 though...

Most bike components will not be strong enough, try and get DH rated stuff as much as possible.

Unfortunately strong large bikes are few and between.

My solution was a Geometron. Unfortunately ways out of budget, but maybe a long term goal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.