Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on my first real trail with my friend today. We both got sick of looking at the 10-day weather forecast and seeing "rain" for weeks and weeks so we just went for it. Had a blast but it was drizzling and muddy. Mud was everywhere. I was wondering how best to maintain and clean a bike after a ride like that. I plan to lube the chain again of course.

We stopped at the local BMX track on the way home and used the hose on our bikes. We were careful around the shocks, brakes, and things like that. Then when I got home I dried it off. Everything looks good but our front disc brakes make rubbing noises. It seems like some mud/sediment got in there. Mine are Avid mechs and his are Shimano 475 mechs. Should we be real concerned?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was told at LBS to use automotive soap and not to use high pressure. I use a just a sponge and a soft brush for cleaning. After a wash, I always let my bike dry and then relube everything, especially the chain. Be careful with oils/spray lubes so you don't get any on the disk rotors.

My brakes squeek too after a soaking. It goes away after a bit.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
dissonance said:
I went on my first real trail with my friend today. We both got sick of looking at the 10-day weather forecast and seeing "rain" for weeks and weeks so we just went for it. Had a blast but it was drizzling and muddy. Mud was everywhere. I was wondering how best to maintain and clean a bike after a ride like that. I plan to lube the chain again of course.

We stopped at the local BMX track on the way home and used the hose on our bikes. We were careful around the shocks, brakes, and things like that. Then when I got home I dried it off. Everything looks good but our front disc brakes make rubbing noises. It seems like some mud/sediment got in there. Mine are Avid mechs and his are Shimano 475 mechs. Should we be real concerned?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Disk brakes are more or less self-cleaning. Spin the wheel and apply the brakes a few times, and all the mud and crap should get sucked out by the little holes in the rotor. If you're still worried, take out the brake pads, then crank the moving arm of the caliper to extend the cylinder all the way. then take a piece of rag (I use old t-shirts or thong underwear...just kidding) and rub it back and forth though the caliper.
DO NOT use any kind of cleaning product on your pads. Ever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.