Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I got tired of lurking and signed up. Nice forum! I just got back into cycling after being told by the doctor to get back in shape. I was diagnosed with heart disease about 2 yrs ago. I have had high blood pressure since my early teens and pretty much ignored it until I was told to control it or kick the bucket in 5 - 10 years. I eat my pills daily and have gotten everything together except for the getting in shape thing. It's time for that now. I'm 36, married, 4 kids, relocated to Oregon 2 yrs ago from Texas. I hit craigslist and found a bike that was only ridden a handful of times in the guy's driveway. He had an accident on his motorcycle and wasted his knee shortly after getting the mountain bike. I traded a handgun for the bike and a buttload of tools and what not. Even got a mechanic's stand and helmet. I have ridden around town to build a little stamina and hit a few trails in the Tillamook State Forest. I found out real quick that I need a lot more stamina before I go back there. Just a little jab at the riders out in the forest: You dudes need to have a little patience for newer riders. You were new once too. If you think I am going too slow on the "easy trails", then get your impatient a$$es to the more difficult trails. You will not discourage me from riding there. Why don't you offer some hints and tricks so I can advance faster reather than *****ing and threatening. I prefer to have fun and enjoy the outdoors, but I have no problem throwing down with a punk on the trails (As I told the punk I had a run in with at the trails). OK, rant over. To the normal riders, I'm glad to be part of the forum and look forward to possibly seeing a few of you on the trails in Oregon.
Ride hard, Lionel

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Welcome to our world brother! Now like AZ said get off the computer and ride your bike;)

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Welcome to the sickness, to the Northwest and to a renewed health focus. Mountain biking is a great way to shape up as you already know.

This: "Just a little jab at the riders out in the forest: You dudes need to have a little patience for newer riders. You were new once too. If you think I am going too slow on the "easy trails", then get your impatient a$$es to the more difficult trails"-- is funny. From my experience here in the PNW, these types are certainly a minority.

Perhaps I'll see you out around the Tillamook Forest way--lotsa great trails out west and I plan to hit a few of them in 2010.

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL. That's the best advice I could ever get. I bow to the wise ones. Leaving the computer now and riding. I rode a little this morning, but an evening ride is a grand suggestion. Thank y'all for the welcome!

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Mountain biking.

It's good that the few people who are jerks have not discouraged you. It won't be long and you will be kicking there arses.:D

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
ae111black said:
Welcome to our world brother! Now like AZ said get off the computer and ride your bike;)
What if she/he is looking for upgrade for his/her bike???? HUH? THEN WHAT?!?!?! :madman: :p

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Sitting in front of the computer during the day time

Blksocks said:
What if she/he is looking for upgrade for his/her bike???? HUH? THEN WHAT?!?!?! :madman: :p
that's what night time is for.......

Look at me telling you that. I've been sitting on my arse all morning!:p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bbrins said:
Welcome.

LOL. Yeah right. That is how almost all bikes on craigslist and ebay are described.:D What did you get?
I looked it over with a fine tooth comb. Not a scratch, not a speck of dirt. The little tits were still on the tires. It's a Novara Ponderosa FS bought at REI. None of the tools were used. Spare parts still in packages...

·
Registered
629 Posts
silverlion said:
I have ridden around town to build a little stamina and hit a few trails in the Tillamook State Forest. I found out real quick that I need a lot more stamina before I go back there.
haha thats how i felt when i bought my first real mountain bike. Just gotta put in a lot of time in the saddle..before you know it youll be keeping up with the pack. Good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
I looked it over with a fine tooth comb. Not a scratch, not a speck of dirt. The little tits were still on the tires. It's a Novara Ponderosa FS bought at REI. None of the tools were used. Spare parts still in packages...
My comment was sort of tongue in cheek, once in a while you really do find one that was only ridden around in the driveway, by an old lady, and only on Sundays.:D

·
Underskilled
4,747 Posts
What made riding the most fun for me is learning it as a new hobby with my wife.

not so fun riding alone.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Welcome + forum advice....

Welcome. Enjoy the ride.

Forum tip: Paragraphs are your friend. You'll receive a lot better answers to your questions if you use the return key more often.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bbrins said:
My comment was sort of tongue in cheek, once in a while you really do find one that was only ridden around in the driveway, by an old lady, and only on Sundays.:D
Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes. I have seen a few cars that had that description. Then you take a hard look at the odometer and can physically see that it has been tampered with. Not to mention looking underneath and finding all of the leaks, dings, etc. I especially like when they try to say a Jeep has never been off roaded. Well, I could see it if it were a Jeep with a HUGE lift, lots of chrome, and BIG tires and bumpers. ()% of those never see a real trail... OK got a little off subject there. It's all good. I just gotta feel everyone out here.
Ride hard!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm trying to get my wife to ride. Excuses, excuses....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been doin some shopping with a very limited budget. I have 4 kids, very limited budget. The purists will scoff, but....who cares? I have some shorts on order(backorder) but I did get some gloves for my paws. I'm a machinist/engineer by trade and the blisters I got on a long ride prevented me from doing my job to the fullest. (we aint got time for less than 100%, we're swamped) So, some 15 dollar Bell pro gel gloves and I'm golden there. My paws are comfy. Thanks to Portland's cycling in the dark laws, I needed flashing visibility. Bell to the rescue once more. A 5 function headlight and a 7 function tail light. Now these no driving fools in Oregon can see me. ( I'll still prolly get hit. They're like deer. They go toward the light) I also bought a couple of tubes, a patch kit, tool kit, some CO2 inflaters, a 2 stage pump, and a Schwin 12 function computer. I have been riding every chance I get, but I think I tend to push myself a little hard. I don't cruise, I pedal hard for as long as I can take it. Even when I'm taking a break I'm still pedaling. I quit dipping snuff and I hardly drink anymore. I eat a lot of fruit(never ate fruit) I drink more water. And I eat better foods most of the time. Right now, with all of the changes( and nicotene fits), I hate the world. But In a couple of weeks, I've dropped 13 pounds. That's nearly a mountain bike. So, there you have it. An update. Oh, and my shiney bike ain't so shiney anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts