Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am overseas, and my wife just bought me a Jekyll 3000SL. From the research I have done on it, it didn't come with a lefty fork, but this one has one. Was it an option in 2000? Is everything else the same assuming its a stock bike? Other than a tune up at a reputable shop, is there anything else I should fix/change on this bike while I am at it? I will not get to ride it until the summer when I return, but I plan to use it as a commuter bike to get to work (5 miles each way), and take it on the trails on some weekends. I was thinking getting a new set of wheels for the road and locking out the shocks for commuting. I have read customer reviews saying the CODA brakes are horrible and come out of adjustment fairly easily, so I may upgrade to a rock solid disc setup. Other than that I should be good. The guy selling it says its a 19in frame. I am 5'6", I am hoping it will fit well, but it was a gift from my wife, and the price was very cheap. The previous owner just hasn't ridden it in years. Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

·
Registered
690 Posts
Figured I'd reply as nobody else has. From what I can tell, the bike did not come with a Lefty originally, but the fact that is has one is definitely a plus. You nailed it on the brakes. The CODA brakes suck. You'll likely need to get a new wheel set though because the CODA brakes took 4 bolt rotors, and I believe the hub offset is a little different.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part

Well I guess that takes care of that! I am having my wife takes pictures of the components because I am in Japan. I wanna ride it so bad! Never had a bike like this before.

Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle tire

Here is the rear shock. If this is the original, is there anything that needs to be done to it? Rebuild? It is a 14 year old bike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has CODA crank and XTR rear derailleur. Not sure cassette, or chain. I think I am good for now, maybe some new hybrid tires (will ride this bike to work), and a good tune-up and bike fitment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.