Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankful to find the site and looking forward to learning a ton...

I am just now getting back into biking after about 15 years off thanks to something of an impulse buy! Proud owner of a Giant Talon 1 29er, purchased from Kittery Trading Post. I'd like to say I have put a lot of mile on it since purchasing it over a year ago but work and personal distractions have meant I am just now getting the chance to actually ride it.

My question is about fitment, specifically the frame size. The folks at KTP were very helpful but I am concerned that I should have gone with a medium vice a large (5'11" with 33" inseam) but I am completely ignorant on the adjustments and proper fit. Bottom line is the bike is comfortable to ride but when standing, not much clearance between the top-tube and items of critical importance.

At any rate, thanks for running a great site and looking forward to putting some miles on with my daughter (just got her a Giant Escape hybrid for excellent report cards) and learning more...

/r

Allen

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have the same measurements and ride a medium 29er. I'm not sure about the dimensions on that particular bike, but it sounds like you might have gone a size too big. Try contacting the shop to see if you can exchange it for a medium.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Standover (since you say you have some clearance) is one of the least critical measurements so if it feels right on reach your good. With slighter shorter leg to torso ratio than the average person I have never had much if any stand over clearance on my my bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is clearance on the top tube, just less than I recall. I had a Diamondback years ago (mid-90's) and just recall more room. I have to say that one of the reasons I sold the DB is that I always seemed cramped on it overall. Felt pretty good on the Giant and did ride both the medium and large frames but I broke one of the cardinal rules- didn't ride it on actual trails but still haven't :skep:...

Have to say that there is a significant chance I am over-thinking this quite a bit!

Thanks again, glad to get the suggestions and advice!

/r

Allen

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thankful to find the site and looking forward to learning a ton...

I am just now getting back into biking after about 15 years off thanks to something of an impulse buy! Proud owner of a Giant Talon 1 29er, purchased from Kittery Trading Post. I'd like to say I have put a lot of mile on it since purchasing it over a year ago but work and personal distractions have meant I am just now getting the chance to actually ride it.

My question is about fitment, specifically the frame size. The folks at KTP were very helpful but I am concerned that I should have gone with a medium vice a large (5'11" with 33" inseam) but I am completely ignorant on the adjustments and proper fit. Bottom line is the bike is comfortable to ride but when standing, not much clearance between the top-tube and items of critical importance.

At any rate, thanks for running a great site and looking forward to putting some miles on with my daughter (just got her a Giant Escape hybrid for excellent report cards) and learning more...

/r

Allen
I am no expert but from your measurements it seems like the medium would be a better choice. Test ride it and see if it fits you better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts