Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am just getting into riding again after many years of not doing it. Actually getting the whole fam involved. I live near Woolsey Canyon in SO CAL so I thought there would some place close to learn again.

I bought a Specialized HardRock Pro (2003) and the frame size is medium. I am 5' 9" and on the heavier side. Hence the wanting to get riding. My question is that when I turn the wheel my feet hit the tire and I stop almost immediately.

Am I doing something wrong? I am placing the ball of my foot on the middle or even slightly back of the pedal.

Any help on that would be great. Also does anyone know if you can ride up top where Woolsey Cyn and Black Cyn meet near Boeing. There is a park up there. I think its called Sage Park.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Chad

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
No it's not right for your foot to hit the tire when you turn. Are you doing something wrong? Can't really tell without a few photos showing you on the bike and in riding mode. When you sit on the saddle do your feet touch the ground?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Size 10 Shoe. Maybe the frame is not a medium. I can stand over the bar flat footed and the bar just touches me. That is what a LBS said to do to find the correct size frame. I can reach the ground when sitting on the seat.

Here is a pic of the bike.

Attachments

·
PMBA Beer Guy
132 Posts
If you can reach the ground while sitting on the seat, I think your seat is not high enough. While sitting on the seat your leg should be ALMOST straight when the pedal is at the bottom (should have a slight bend in the knee).

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
Toes!

Just go to the doc and get those toes removed!:D They're only good for walking anyway!!! hehe:thumbsup:

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
if the balls of your feet are over the axles of the pedals when riding, I cant see how the wheel would hit the toes, are you riding on your heels?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd probably put another inch on that seat (higher, that is) and would consider 165 or 160 crank arms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the balls over the axels. If I slide them back a little the tire clears my front of my shoes by about a 1/4 of an inch.

I will have to take a photo for clarity.

Chad

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sage Ranch has a fun 2.1 mile loop. I like to ride it in both directions. Absolute Beginners might be intimidated by Sage-- it's loose, rocky & uneven. There are many good trails nearby-- I'll PM you some ideas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am having the same problem with my new bike, about my feet hitting the tire when i turn. i think the FORK IS ON BACKWARDS actually. taking it into the shop. if it's true i will feel soooooo dumb.. oh well.. but if you bought your bike from the lbs maybe they don't know if its on backwards either..

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,793 Posts
IbexEric said:
I am having the same problem with my new bike, about my feet hitting the tire when i turn. i think the FORK IS ON BACKWARDS actually. taking it into the shop. if it's true i will feel soooooo dumb.. oh well.. but if you bought your bike from the lbs maybe they don't know if its on backwards either..
take a pic of your bike and we'll help ya out... save ya the trip... Btw, what Ibex you running? And dont forget to post up in the Ibex forum... XD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts