Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Came across this forum as I was looking for a bike. You all seem very knowledgeable, so I figured I’d ask the experts! New to this whole MTB thing.

I'm looking for a commuter bike I can ride to work, and maybe take to the trails every now and then for some fun/exercise. Not going to do anything too extreme here in Missouri. Came across a few different bikes on CL and would love your guys opinion. I'm a male rider, and approx 5'11".

(See pics attached)
1st: Specialized HRXC - $200
Been hard to find a ton of information on this model. Looks like it has a 17" aluminum frame, rst front suspension, shimano componets, 21 speed, and cst selecta Kevlar tires.

2nd: Trek 3700 - $260
17.5" aluminum frame. Shimano mix. Brakeset: Tektro V brakes, Shimano EF-50 lever. Shift Levers: Shimano EF-50. FD: Shimano C-050. RD: Shimano Acera. Rims: Matrix 550. 26 x 2.00" Bontrager Connection Trail

3rd: Cannondale M700 - $200
XT and LX components. 26inch wheels, 20 inch frame

Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The 17" frames might be a little small ,I'm 6' ,i rode a 17 that was small for me ,the 20" might be too big . The Cdale has the better components,but it's most likely the oldest.The trek looks to be the most trail ready,might be a little over priced. You need to test ride them and check them over.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have a HRXC hanging in my garage, silver one. Nice ALum frame but it has thoes twist shifters on it..also older 3x7 DTrain..I'm 6' and this 17" frame is too small for me.
I haven't had the bike very long as my wife drugg it home from the thrift store ="here babe, I bought a bike for you to fix up" what really

Anyway llooks like this model only came out 2006&7...You can get the specs from Spesh website arcives... it sold new for like $380

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice! Wound up with a Specialized Hardrock from a LBS though. By the time I paid for a tune-up I was almost on my way to a new bike so I just pulled the trigger. Liking my purchase so far. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts