Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started mountain biking. Went out and purchased a $100 Mongoose XR-75 at Wall-mart to go trail riding with my brother in law, who is always new to the sport. The tail we've been riding has a ton of roots which seem to beat beating up our bikes. Is it even worth buying upgrades for my frame? And if I did get upgrades how would I know what parts work for my bike? For instance this Altus M310 7/8-speed Rear Der Silver(Got torn off the bike in my last outing).

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
90awdturbo said:
I believe it, now the gear has begun to slip on this pile, how do I go about fixing that?
Your gong to describe the 'slipping' better
If the bike is newer, the drivetrain shouldn't be worn - tho, I'm not saying it isn't.

How long ago did you get it?
can you take it back?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased it a few months ago but just started riding it, I think it's too late but I do recall it having a 1-year warranty. Either way the slipping comes when I go to pedal under high torque in any gear. When I pedal it slips like it's trying to change gears or something and then will catch for like half a rotation then slip again if still under high torque. Its a loud clunking noise.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
90awdturbo said:
Wish it was that easy chief, any other options?
Take to a shop for a tune-up? and diagnosis? That could cost you 40 bones tho.

I dunno, it's a hard call with that bike.
Try the warranty route?

Do you have a video camera?
You could try (or have a buddy follow) and replicate the issue.
Steady and tight camera work is needed tho.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a friend recently take his department store bike to the LBS cause his gears were

slipping under high torque. They tightened a loose bottom bracket, front derailleur and put

his brake pads on right side up for about $10.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
90awdturbo said:
Wish it was that easy chief, any other options?
Save up 350 bucks, then do so. Other options...not really. This isnt the most expensive sport to BE in...but it takes a bit of cash to GET in. Maybe you can find a nice used bike on craigslist for about 150?

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
I'd call/visit your local WM and be as sweet as sugar. One thing WM has going for it is a liberal return policy- and you might be able to take advantage of it. Your bike (regardless of its looks) is not built to go offroad, and you may hurt yourself if you keep riding it hard.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
BigSharks said:
I'd call/visit your local WM and be as sweet as sugar. One thing WM has going for it is a liberal return policy- and you might be able to take advantage of it.
now now :nono:
:D

The OP is very cordial and understanding when it comes to his(? - could be a chick - sorry for assuming) ride.
Compared to this dood with a similar bike just posted...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=635739

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
BigSharks said:
I'd call/visit your local WM and be as sweet as sugar. One thing WM has going for it is a liberal return policy- and you might be able to take advantage of it. Your bike (regardless of its looks) is not built to go offroad, and you may hurt yourself if you keep riding it hard.

Yep , the Walgoose is not really dirt worthy .

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
I believe they have a disclaimer either on the bike or on the paperwork with it that says it shouldn't be ridden off-road. Could be Toys r Us, I'm not sure

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Trail Ninja said:
I believe they have a disclaimer either on the bike or on the paperwork with it that says it shouldn't be ridden off-road. Could be Toys r Us, I'm not sure
Yes dont ride something called a mountain bike (on the store floor) offroad. Because that makes sense. Just like the rest of walmart does. God I hate big box stores.

·
Monkey Junkie
593 Posts
Do some research on sites such as sheldonbrown.com to learn more about working on your bike. Some shops may not even touch a walmart bike because they are unfortunately assembled poorly from the get go in most cases. There is nothing wrong with you riding a walmart bike if that is what you can afford, but learning to work on it yourself will stop you from spending more money. Otherwise it will just be a money pit.

If a shop is cool they might hook you up with a cheap tune up, but many of them will charge you top dollar for everything they do. Save up $2-300 bucks and buy a used bike. Buy an old hardtail and you'll be set. I just sold one for $180 bucks myself, so deals are out there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts