Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy borrowed my extra bike, and of course, he took the front wheel off to bring it back to me as a favor and squeezed the front brake closed. He's never had a bike with hydro brakes. Well, I tried prying the pads apart with a plastic putty knife and could only get them far enough apart to slip the disc in, just barely. I did this with the bike upside down. Is that bad?

The wheel won't spin when replaced and the lever is sorta floppy now.

What do I need to do to get everything back ship shape?

I'm searching for DIY fixes now..........any and all input appreciated, guys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pull the reservoir cover off, grab a rag. First take the pads out. Keep the wheel away from the area. Then push the pistons all the way back in the caliper. Wipe up the mess and put the cover back on. Make sure all brake fluid is cleaned up and none is by the rotor or brake pads or on any paint if your brakes us D.O.T. and not mineral oil. Finally put it all back together. You may need to pump the pistons back up to full power the first time with the brake lever.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I did this with the nines. If you are able to get the pads out, you can use a small open hex wrench to push the caliper back (the pad pin should not be pushed against), repeat on the other side. In my case it helped, but the brakes were really mushy, so I ended up bleeding them. Those use DOT fluid, so again, make sure you clean up any spills, as it will strip paint.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Really? Don't pull your pads out!

Don't be scared and stick a flat blade screw driver in there...
Wiggle it back in forth in there you won't damage the pads or the brakes...
Should fix you right up and definitely don't bleed your brakes for this...

Don't blame your friend it's a simple fix.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Please, Straight from Hayes manual located here :

ahem

"B. Piston(s) Pumped Out
If the brake lever is stroked without the disc between the pads (and this is possible when brake pads are being changed), the self-adjusting feature will allow the pads to push out. The caliper pistons will be pumped out of their bore. This will cause excessive drag on the disc when the wheel and disc are reinstalled, or even make it impossible to install
the wheel and disc.

To fix this problem…
1. Remove the brake pads from the caliper if they are not already removed.
2. Hint: If the pads are pushed together tight, slide a series of thin cards between the pads to initiate a gap and enlarge the gap until it is large enough to pull the pads out. If you are going to replace the pads anyway, you can use a screwdriver instead of the cards to create the gap. But the screwdriver will break the friction material apart and the pads will definitely have to be discarded.
3. With the pads removed, push the pistons all the way back into the caliper using the box end of a 10 mm end wrench. Caution: Don’t push on the post in the center of the piston because that will bend the post. Walk the piston back and forth until the piston is all the way back in the bore. Do the same thing on the other side.
4. When the pistons are back into their bores, replace the pads – putting them in at a slight angle so that the spring catches the post on the piston."

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
willis has it right; it's the easiest and fastest way to do it and, if your brakes were bled properly the first time, everything will be back to normal. It WILL put dents in the pads, but it really doesn't make much of a difference. If they weren't bled properly in the first place, you just have to rebleed, which is pretty quick on the nines ... chances are they needed the fluid replaced anyways.

Pulling out the pads, though it works, definitely leaves the chance of wrecking your pistons as that little pin, though easy to avoid, is REALLY easy to bend if you're not careful ... leaving the pads in basically eliminates this problem. Also, Hayes has caliper spacers for their brakes ... if you can get a rotor in there, the spacer will go in too and expand the caliper all the way (LBS will probably have a pile of these laying around).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts