Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i've been lurking here for a few months and figured it was time to post. please forgive me fo my lack of technical savy with this board. i live in park city utah and have been riding ellsworths since around 2000. i ride 100-150 miles/wk in the spring through fall and ski in the ut bc all winter. i have had a bit of experience with the company and figured i would share.

my first ells was a green anodized truth (the year they changed the rocker length and started shot peening and anodizing) preceeded by an FSR and a string of cannondales. i borke the rocker arm at the end of my first season in red canyon around bryce national park. ells cs replaced that part quickly, with no questions asked and recomended i switch to a romic. second year i broke the seat tube just above the front deralieur and the front trialgle was promtly replaced, no questions asked (even got the same color). sometime in it's third season, i noticed a crack on the down-tube just below the intersection with the head tube. i worked with ellsworth for about a month before convincing them to replace with an id. i payed for the shock, they replaced everything but the shock stay and sent me a free t-shirt and 2 pages of decals along with frame.

i have been on this bike for almost 3 seasons now and i love it. at the begining of this season, i noticed a crack in the chain stay on the bottom of the flat machined part neer the bb pivot. this was replaced in 3 days with the new asym chain stay (without them having received the broken part). so i now have a franken-bike with parts from year 2000, 2003 and 2006 on it. it rides great and i love it.

my bottom line with ellsworth: the bikes and customer service are second to none. where else can you buy a frame 6 years ago and have it continuously update with the latest technology for free? i guess it helps to have a kind hard-tail waiting in the garage for thoes times when you are without;)

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
Good to hear,I wonder what they would do if I found a crack in my second owner Truth ? Its been great so far,but I have only had it for 2 months.I have a strong feeling it will last me many years to come in its present incarnation. :cool: I am currently saving up for a new bike,as I have come to realize its a tad too small,and black is just not me.I hope some shade of green is available next winter/spring for the Truth,as its my fave color. :cool:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hey PC, you may have good intentions here giving Ells CS props for taking great care of you but you may not realize you can very well start another string of flame war over a very, very old and tired scab. Flame on :madmax:

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
ahimanic said:
Hey PC, you may have good intentions here giving Ells CS props for taking great care of you but you may not realize you can very well start another string of flame war over a very, very old and tired scab. Flame on :madmax:
I hear a buzzing noise...... ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info...as others have not had the same experience, perhaps i will remain quiet on the subject in the future

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
hey....

damion said:
jk, oso.

Is the Truth holding up, or are you ready to change to a Tomac?
that brings some very fond memories... :eekster: :eekster: :eekster:

truth is meaner and leaner than ever... i am having the best season of endurance racing / riding... the other weekend we had 24 hrs of summer solstice up here in the snow belt and i was only 8 minutes slower than the fastest (pro) rider on the hill... usually it is 12+ minutes...

after 2.5 years of hard service - the chainstay cracked in it's usual spot... Ellsworth replaced it overnight - so that i can have my bike ready for the weekend race... in the meantime i got the Id - in orange - size large and built it up nicely - XO and all the bling...

Truth is now being used for racing and ocassional spirited group rides... Id is taking over as all mountain bike - i love it's high BB - it is an awesome bike... Sold Enlightenment and am on the lookout for a titanium or carbon fiber hardtail that i might take to "the Route of the Conquistadors" in Costa Rica if my plans come true...

i am racing 8 hours Epic tomorrow - on a 4 person team - being lazy... :D :D :D

what is new in your neck of the woods...

·
Registered
362 Posts
osokolo said:
after 2.5 years of hard service - the chainstay cracked in it's usual spot... Ellsworth replaced it overnight - so that i can have my bike ready for the weekend race... in the meantime i got the Id - in orange - size large and built it up nicely - XO and all the bling...
Oso,

Did you get one of the new asymetrical chainstays or one like the original?

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
yes i did...

SprocketHead said:
Oso,

Did you get one of the new asymetrical chainstays or one like the original?
old design chainstays are gone forever...

i posted this message long time ago, but just realized it never got uploaded...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good to hear PC. Although as someone else said, only a matter of time before the predictable posters come on here flaming and trolling.

Sad but true.

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I think the flamers are in the Foes arena. I hit that forum on accident a while back and the first thing I saw was a CS sucks thread.

You know how buzzards are.

I on the other hand like to hear of the happy CS stories. I don't have any anymore because I now have a Moment that laughs at me when I think I'm riding it hard.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
i noticed that thread...

coldsteele said:
I think the flamers are in the Foes arena. I hit that forum on accident a while back and the first thing I saw was a CS sucks thread.

You know how buzzards are.

I on the other hand like to hear of the happy CS stories. I don't have any anymore because I now have a Moment that laughs at me when I think I'm riding it hard.
as well, when i was checking on blackfly over at Foes forum... oh well...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
id to moment upgrade

just posted the story for informational purposes. my personal opinion is that it can be looked at from both viewpoints. i could very easily be upset by my experience rather than looking at the positive...all a matter of attitude.

in any case, have flame suit available if necessary.

i will post some pics of the franken-id when i get home later tonight.

anyone done the id to moment conversion?, if so what was the price? i seem to remember reading that ells still had some medium ids in stock. if so, my guess is that price will be more than the charge for the shock if changing to a moment until all ids are gone. just planning for the future, based on past experience and reading other's stories, the id may give at some point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts