Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a new 2002 Fuji Thrill on the net for $350 no tax, free shipping.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Hardtail/product_85136.shtml

I know that Fuji isn't well loved here at mtbr but I think it may be a pretty good choice for me. I'm brand new to the mountain bike scene. I've always had road bikes and haven't really done that much at all for the past 10 years or so. Now I'm trying to find a new form of exercise since my knees and joints are making it quite painful to run (I'm 33 and hate to run anyway :rolleyes: ) So I really only need an inexpensive but reliable 'beginners' bike. I don't wan't to spend tons of $$$ till I decide I'm gonna stay 'off-road'. I like the Fuji cause it's less common than Treks, Giants, etc. and at $350 it seems to be a pretty good value. I know the components are suspect, but again, I'm not gonna be downhill racing or anything competitive for that matter, just exercise at the local county park trails. I've also looked at a $150 'full suspension' pile at Costco ( :eek: I know what you guys think about that option) and a 'soft-tail' KHS (maybe comp ST model) at a local bike shop for about $350.

SO my question is, will I be making a mistake buying a new 2-3 year old Fuji Thrill model for $350? I know there are many options in the $500 range (I've read through that thread) but I really don't even want to spend that much until I decide that this is for me. I've still got my road bike and should I decide later that I need a better bike, I can upgrade at that time.

Thanks for the help guys/gals. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I may post this in another forum as well so don't shoot me. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd look elsewhere...

..and it has nothing to do with the Fuji brand. I think they have some nice stuff -- their cyclocross bike is pretty sweet.

If you have a road bike and have developed even a rudimentary appreciation for nice equipment I think the Thrill is bound to disappoint you after a few months, as your skills develop.

For $350, I'd look around for a well-maintained LX/XT level hardtail about four-five years old. (As an example, maybe a Specialized M2 Stumpjumper, with Judy-level fork)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More specs.

Here are three 'new' bikes I'm looking at, what would you do (in my situation)

2002 Fuji Thrill - $350
7005 aluminum frame
Suntour Magnesium MG-60 fork
Acera front / Alivio rear
ProMax mechanical disk brakes

2003 KHS Crest ST - $375
Chromoly frame
Rock Shox Pilot C fork
Acera front / Alivio rear
Avid 3.0 brakes (non-disk)

2004 Ibex Alpine 450 - $400
6061 Aluminum frame
Marzocchi MZ comp fork
Alivio front / Deore rear
Tektro Alloy V-brakes

Thanks again for the advice, I need all the help I can get... :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd second what WBFree stated: The Alivio/Acera components are a significant step down from Deore/LX/XT. If your roadie has low-level components on it, you may not mind, but if you're used to good shifters and brakes, you'll likely be put off by the A/A stuff.

I found a smoking deal on a couple-year-old Trek for my SO in the Recycler (local classified paper). $160 for a barely-used bike that probably went $500 or so new. Came with Gripshift and LX components, and it's been great for her.

Look around for a clean used one.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.