Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, and friend of mine convinced me to start racing this fall. The license has been purchased (beginner), and I am in the process of joining the Texas A&M team. At the very least, my first race will be beginner/C, but my friend thinks I should try to race Sport/B.

I have never raced, have been mountain biking for only about 3 1/2 years, road biking for 1 year. I am old (35) and have at least another 20 lbs to lose. My #1 weakness is core strength/endurance. The legs and lungs are willing, but the back protests after about an hour of sustained hard effort offroad on the hardtail. I ride 3 to 5 days per week, primarily offroad, with one day dedicated to a fast group road ride. I try to ride for at least 2 hours per ride. I have ridden, at most, 6 days/~200 miles per week when doing all road.

The first race on the A&M calender is Camp Eagle at the end of August. Do any of you have any sage advice for preparing myself for racing? I'd like to move to Sport ASAP, but I want to earn it, or at least feel ready.

-Ryan

·
Big Wheeler
53 Posts
Garthhog said:
I try to ride for at least 2 hours per ride. I have ridden, at most, 6 days/~200 miles per week when doing all road.
FWIW - I'm no sage but it sounds like you may be ready for Sport now. How often and long do you ride on average? I just started racing this season myself after riding for about 3 years. I only get out about 3 days a week to the trails but commute during the week as much as I can. It's not enough to podium but I'm finishing mid-pack in the Sport class. Miles on the trainer and trails will only get you so far. I've learned more about my fitness and (lack of) training on the race course. Struggling in the sport class might be more beneficial in the long term then finishing better in Beginner.

I was actually very pleased with a 28th finish out of 55 for Sport class this past weekend on a very muddy course that seemed all uphill :p

Im not worried about results this season (except for beating my buddies). I'm focusing on getting some race experience and using those experiences and mistakes to alter my training efforts this winter. Hopefully this time next season I'll be giving different advice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I think you should start in Beginner, that is what that class is for. It is not beginner mountain biker, it is beginner racer as in "new to the scene." If you win, great job! Enjoy your fame and move up for next race. Otherwise, it is great way to see where you stack up against others in a race environment. Don't sweat this. Anxiety is normal and that will all be behind you after you finish your first race. Eat well, drink plenty of water starting the day before, get a warm up in before your start, and HAVE FUN!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ewarnerusa said:
I think you should start in Beginner, that is what that class is for. It is not beginner mountain biker, it is beginner racer as in "new to the scene." If you win, great job! Enjoy your fame and move up for next race. Otherwise, it is great way to see where you stack up against others in a race environment. Don't sweat this. Anxiety is normal and that will all be behind you after you finish your first race. Eat well, drink plenty of water starting the day before, get a warm up in before your start, and HAVE FUN!!
I have been warned about bragging about winning a beginner race.
:nono: :D

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Garthhog said:
I have been warned about bragging about winning a beginner race.
:nono: :D

-Ryan
enjoying your fame is not bragging! Just make sure to only tell your non-biking/racing friends that you won the race. For the bikers/racers you ride with, just mention that you learned a lot and are considering moving up. Good luck!!!

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Start in Beg and go from there. You want to make sure you leave your first race confident not being able to wait for the second one. I moved up to soon last year, and almost stopped racing because I got crushed and DNF'd in three races.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.