Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased my first quality mtb which is a black 2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er. I will be picking up on the 27th.

I would like to get a computer Any suggestions? Ive read reviews and from what I got out of them is to stay away from wireless. Not looking for anything too fancy just an average computer nothing over 50 bucks.
I would also like to get a led light for both ends any suggestions? Again im not looking at spending 200 bucks just on a light. Thanks for your help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
I don't see any problem with wireless. They're a bit more expensive but if you crash there are no wires to snag your (insert appendage here) on.

To help with the light question, why do you want a light on both ends? Are you commuting or riding on the road at night? Or mountain biking after dark?
 

·
YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
Joined
·
240 Posts
you can find some led light at walmart for the front its like 15 bucks just put 2 and it will be really bright and for the back one blinking red LED light

Congrats on the purchase put a photo up when possible
 

·
29 and Single
Joined
·
160 Posts
I have a Cateye Vectra Wireless. I really like it and have never had a problem. People say the problem comes from the distance between the transmitter and receiver changing when the fork compresses and rebounds. I have never experienced this problem, though. Even if you have a wire, just loosely wrap it around your front brake cable so there is one less wire flapping in the breeze.

Lights for the front are of 2 varieties. There are lights you use to see and there are those you use to be seen. The lights you use to see can range from $90 to $700 or higher but they put out 200 lumens and above. The lights you see for $15 are to be seen by oncoming traffic. Go with LED for the front and back and find the one with the most obnoxious flash pattern. Your intent is to get the vehicles attention. And no, they wont pay too much attention to it and run into you. Its a bike light, not a bug zapper.

Unless you are commuting on roads to and from the trails, you won't need any lights. They are just one more thing to break loose. If you are using public roadways then check the laws in your state for what the requirements are for lights and reflectors. You probably wont get a ticket for not having them but they can save you headaches later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nachomc said:
I don't see any problem with wireless. They're a bit more expensive but if you crash there are no wires to snag your (insert appendage here) on.

To help with the light question, why do you want a light on both ends? Are you commuting or riding on the road at night? Or mountain biking after dark?
I will use the bike for commuting/trails. I am going to be riding it to work and I start at 5am so its dark. I want light so people see me on the road I most likely wont be mountain biking at night so an expensive light for visibility is not needed. Sorry should of been more specific on what I plan to be doing on the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DParks said:
I have a Cateye Vectra Wireless. I really like it and have never had a problem. People say the problem comes from the distance between the transmitter and receiver changing when the fork compresses and rebounds. I have never experienced this problem, though. Even if you have a wire, just loosely wrap it around your front brake cable so there is one less wire flapping in the breeze.

Lights for the front are of 2 varieties. There are lights you use to see and there are those you use to be seen. The lights you use to see can range from $90 to $700 or higher but they put out 200 lumens and above. The lights you see for $15 are to be seen by oncoming traffic. Go with LED for the front and back and find the one with the most obnoxious flash pattern. Your intent is to get the vehicles attention. And no, they wont pay too much attention to it and run into you. Its a bike light, not a bug zapper.

Unless you are commuting on roads to and from the trails, you won't need any lights. They are just one more thing to break loose. If you are using public roadways then check the laws in your state for what the requirements are for lights and reflectors. You probably wont get a ticket for not having them but they can save you headaches later.
Thanks for the input.. the cateyes seem have good reviews. Im leaning towards a cateye "enduro 8" (I believe its called.) The Cateye Vectra Wireless computer you have seems very nice to and wireless is alot cleaner looking. we'll see. But yeah my main reason is for having lights is so people see me. As for the officers here in Cleveland they can care less about bicycles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
carlos91 said:
you can find some led light at walmart for the front its like 15 bucks just put 2 and it will be really bright and for the back one blinking red LED light

Congrats on the purchase put a photo up when possible
Yeah thats probably end up doing. Thanks. ill be sure to put up pictures the day I get it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked her up today here are some pictures.


Went on my first ride 18.3 miles. I was shooting for 30 miles but i didn't want to push it. Very nice bike I love it. Had some problems with the fork lock-out plastic lever popping off but just clipped it back on.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top