Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
A friend got me interested in the Tracer VP and I was curious as to what this bike is really classified as. Is it really just a burlier built trail bike in 5.5" mode and more like an all mountain in 6".

I was considering a Remedy9 until a friend turned me on to the Tracer. Said they were lighter/stronger. Not so sure about being lighter as most builds I've seen in here top 30lbs and the Remedy 9 is "supposed" to be 28lbs according to my LBS. What I DO like about the Tracer though is this split personality it has w/ the adjustable suspension. Could be the "Do it ALL" bike I've been looking for. I'd like to build mine out a/ either the 36 TALAS or 32 TALAS for quicker suspension changes (mayble 32 FLOAT (150) to keep the weight down?). With the typical SLX or XT builds available is it still possible to get this bike to 28lbs (most likely a L size frame).

I guess what I'm looking for is a LIGHT (but still strong) an all mountain bike that can climb as good as my Stumpjumper, but will be more stable and smoother on the downhills than the SJ.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are THE MAN! This is just the type of input I was looking for.

Wow...4 lbs difference in XT to XTR + the Talas 36 to 32, huh? I know the forks had a 1lb difference between the two but didn't know the component change would be that much of a change.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Tracer with the 32 Talas 150. It's an XT build. It weighs in at 28 lbs but its a medium. All the adjustability makes it feel like a different bike at the extreme ends of the travel.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice...can you post the details of your build besides the XT components? Curious about the headsets and brakes most Tracer guys are using.

Also, height and inseam? I'm about 5'10" w/ a 32" inseam and kind of fall in between the Med and Large frame.

·
Registered
382 Posts
rondre3000 said:
You are THE MAN! This is just the type of input I was looking for.

Wow...4 lbs difference in XT to XTR + the Talas 36 to 32, huh? I know the forks had a 1lb difference between the two but didn't know the component change would be that much of a change.

Thanks again.
Don't forget there that a good part of that difference is also in the wheelset. Also the red bike has a larger front brake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I have a medium in stealth black. I literally have almost an all XT build (wheelset, hydraulic brakes, cranks, deraileurs, etc). I'm also have the cane creek flush headset, Nevegals 2.35", Titec handlebar, Titec stem, Titec seatpost, Fox RP23, and CB candy pedals...I think that is everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts