Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this winter I converted my old mtb into a ss to see if I would like it. I just did it the cheap way and bought a conversion kit from nashbar. I bought a ss chain and i didn't use the tensioner because it seemed that the chain would not come off without it.
So a couple questions 1) how do I know that I need a tensioner, I doubt that I am one of the lucky ones that actually has the right length chainstays to let that happen. There is some slack but I rode it today and the chain didn't come off or make any noise.
2) The spacers provided with the kit don't seem to be quite tight enough because the cog wiggles and makes some noise, any recommendations on how to fix that.
3) It also seems that after the conversion my wheel wants to wobble on the axle. I am pretty new to working on bikes myself so I am not sure what this could be.

Thanks for any help.

btw- after the first ride today I am totally hooked on the ss. I am already thinking about buying an actual frame or premade.

·
Bend, OR
620 Posts
the cog wiggling is bad. Buy some more spacers, or if you want to go ghetto or the space is too small, cut out some cardboard rings and stuff em on there. Should work, temporarily at least.

If your chain is not rediculously tight but there is not enough slack so that it hits the chainstays and such(no noise is good) then you'll probably be okay, although if the chain is new, it will stretch and you will most likely need a tensioner.

The wheel being loose is also bad. Check the QR or bolts or whatever you have to make sure they're tight(haha). The hub could be loose. You might be able to tighten it, you might not, depends on what you have for a hub. Other than that, I'm not really sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.